• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new logo

Marlene

I liked the old logo better. it was bouncy and looked like fun. new one looks as much fun as a Christian rock band concert, a root canal or a seminar on the history of the tree frog

John Butto

Whoa! The tree frog's my favorite animal.... :covereyes:

The "tree frog, christian rock" thing would have been a great Marleen's World, but she is in Washington this week protesting the USA's involvement with Syria. She has her hand painted red and you can see her in the back of the room on C-SPAN.

Mosh

Didn't know typing something in Optima was a logo? Oh I see the ! different....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It's off to a good start. Hermann Zapf would be pleased.

Ok...so it's new, but that's all it is. It certainly isn't fresh. It's definitely an improvement over the heavily bloated serifs of the previous typeface, however they could have been a little more creative with the manipulation.

JB

Marlene

The "tree frog, christian rock" thing would have been a great Marleen's World, but she is in Washington this week protesting the USA's involvement with Syria. She has her hand painted red and you can see her in the back of the room on C-SPAN.

nope, wasn't there. I was at a three day seminar on the many ways to fold napkins. I now can fold one that looks like a tree frog

ChicagoGraphics

I think this one would have looked much better

Attachments

• Yahoo.jpg
    Yahoo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 63

Marlene

good modern approach, clean, non offending, professional.​

what's funny is those are all the reasons I don't like it. the company is Yahoo! which is anything but serious. it would be like doing Toys R Us in the plain simple font, it just doesn't fit. I'm all for clean and simple but not when the company has a name like that as it just doesn't fit. if it were IBM, Rite-Aid, John's Annal Warts Remover, or some other non-fun sounding company, it would be perfect. when you hear the name Yahoo!, you don't think plain and simple

Pat Whatley

The explanation (excuses) explained:
• We knew we wanted a logo that reflected Yahoo—whimsical, yet sophisticated. Modern and fresh, with a nod to our history. Having a human touch, personal. Proud. (all meaningless chiches)
• Other elements fell quickly into place
(we threw this together at the last minutes so we could hit the bar)
• We didn't want to have any straight lines in the logo. Straight lines don’t exist in the human form and are extremely rare in nature, so the human touch in the logo is that all the lines and forms all have at least a slight curve
(we'd already hit the bar and couldn't draw straight lines)
• We preferred letters that had thicker and thinner strokes - conveying the subjective and editorial nature of some of what we do.
(because some of us are fat and some of us are skinny)
• Serifs were a big part of our old logo. It felt wrong to give them up altogether so we went for a sans serif font with "scallops" on the ends of the letters.
(because the CEO said curvy ends and serifs were the same thing)
• Our existing logo felt like the iconic Yahoo yodel. We wanted to preserve that and do something playful with the OO’s.
(so me made them minimally different so nobody can tell if it was intentional or not)
• We wanted there to be a mathematical consistency to the logo, really pulling it together into one coherent mark.
(I have no idea what in the hell that's supposed to mean unless it's that mathematically we blew our logo design budget at the track and had to slop this together at the last minute)
• We toyed with lowercase and sentence case letters. But, in the end, we felt the logo was most readable when it was all uppercase, especially on small screens.
Our last move was to tilt the exclamation point by 9 degrees, just to add a bit of whimsy
(we typed in the name, scrolled through the fonts, didn't find a good one so we settled on the last one, then Carl rotated the excalamation point a little so it would be "custom".)