• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New machine arriving Tuesday. Need to know which ink configuration I want. Help!

threeputt

Purchased the new VSi from Roland. Now they tell me that configuring the machine CMYK x2 results in much faster print speeds.

But if I go with CMYK Lm, Lc, Lk, I get better greys, and colors, correct?

Now, we don't do any Giclee prints or anything, but I've been told that my old machine SP-540v can't give me really vibrant reds, kawasaki green, etc. because of the color gamut of the two head machine.

Can I get vibrant colors with the CMYK x2 configuration? Or just more speed?

Baz

Just my opinion on my new VS-540 (Bought last year).

I got the x2 CMYK configuration.

Colors are freaking great! No problems hitting reds.
Greys were touchy at first. But i am now familiar with what is working good and am getting great results.

Love the speed!

My only complaint (albeit a minor one) would be the greys. You have to make sure you are setting them up right. In my case it's just making sure of the RGB numbers (ex.: R: 60 - G: 60 - B: 65). Seems going with R and G at the same level with the B just a little higher gives me a great "cool/steel" grey.

But i don't think i would sacrifice my bright colors and speed for the greys considering i am happy with what i am getting.

This is just my opinion on the setup i chose and for what i do.

threeputt

Baz, are you able to tell me (by comparison) if your output colors are as vibrant or even more vibrant than whatever you were using before?

Or put differently, will I get brighter colors with this machine, (over my Sp-540V) if I go with the CMYK x2 setup? I'm quite sure I'd get even brighter colors with the seven ink setup, but at the sacrifice of speed.

Davidford7

I had a VS-540 running Metallic /White. When they exchanged my machine I had it configured 2X CYMK. The colors were just as bright and the speed was great. One run we do every day did take 11 minutes with the 2X CYMK it was 5.2 min. Red spot on.
David

threeputt

Wow, David. That's encouraging. Maybe they've improved the heads and technology some. After all my machine is 7 years old.

Baz

Mine is the VS-540 ... Not the "I" version.

What i was using before was a SC-500 (CMYKlclm) and it is still in use. It 's not fair to compare the two since i think my biggest improvement was the RIP program. My older printer is being run by Flexi v.7 and my VS is through Versaworks (automatically updated). My colors are way more vibrant now than they have ever been.

I'll add .. I'm only using my older printer to run jobs that have already been setup and don't consist of RED! Photos are ok but not solid patches. I also use it to run temporary promotional stuff, small stickers.

I'd like to see my SC-500 run through Versaworks to see the output difference but i bought this thing brand new in 2002 and it only has the large LTP1 connector. I don't want to start playing around with that crap.

Farmboy

What do most of you have your Color Management settings at in Versaworks? We used the default for years, because it's all I knew and colors always look good for what we do. Just had a new printer installed and the tech set both our printers to MAX Density US. What a difference. I do notice that there is quite a bit more ink consumed. Do any of you switch between profiles depending on the job?

KingofProcrasta

Congratulations on your new printer! Last year was my transition year to upgrade printers from Roland FJ600 and SC545EX to Roland XR640 (CMYKLcLmLk+silver) and an Epson 9900. I think you will notice much cleaner output on the new machine meaning colors are closer to your design files and dot patterns tighter. On top will be it's much faster in either configuration. For me, I would choose the lighter colors for smoother color changes and cleaner blacks. But that's the type of clients I have targeted. Make you decision based on what your needs are, much higher production speeds or higher quality output.

A Win-Win for sure!
Cheers to your new baby:rock-n-roll: