• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New MDO Supplier

S

Sign-Man Signs

Just had a conversation with a sales rep from a company called Hood Industries. Unbelievable price on MDO. Talked to Jeff Ferrence at 1-407-362-8848.
I wouldn't post this except that MDO prices have gone up so much I think it needs to be publicized.
Link: http://hoodindustries.com/

Haven't purchased anything yet but here's what I was quoted.

1/2, primed 1 side....$37.76 a sheet
3/4, primed 1 side....$47.68 a sheet
1/2, primed 2 side....$46.80 a sheet
3/4, primed 2 side....$55.68 a sheet

No minimum order and free delivery local. Maybe our local suppliers can now come off their prices a bit. Being times what they are, got to go with price to stay alive. I was so shocked at the difference in prices, just had to pass it on.

Salmoneye

You will have to excuse the ignorance because I am new. Why would you use MDO when you can buy aluminum coated sheets in 3mm for the same price? In a previous business I had many things made on MDO and it seemed that after a couple of years the primer would fail or water would infiltrate the wood... ... Since we started our shop we haven't used any MDO but maybe we need to?????

Pat Whatley

- Because 3mm polymetal types stuff needs backer to be used as a full sheet....and that backer is invariably going to fail.

- Because properly finished MDO will last 10 years.

- Because MDO is easy to cut, finish, and install with no additional support required.

Just my thoughts. 3mm polymetal has it's place....being used as a 4x8 real estate sign in a field ain't it.

trik

- Because 3mm polymetal types stuff needs backer to be used as a full sheet....and that backer is invariably going to fail.

- Because properly finished MDO will last 10 years.

- Because MDO is easy to cut, finish, and install with no additional support required.

Just my thoughts. 3mm polymetal has it's place....being used as a 4x8 real estate sign in a field ain't it.

+1 :clapping:

S

Sign-Man Signs

You will have to excuse the ignorance because I am new. Why would you use MDO when you can buy aluminum coated sheets in 3mm for the same price? In a previous business I had many things made on MDO and it seemed that after a couple of years the primer would fail or water would infiltrate the wood... ... Since we started our shop we haven't used any MDO but maybe we need to?????

I understand the newbie thing. Pat hit it right on the head. You'll find different substrates for different jobs. This is just a source for you to use. That's why I subscribe to Signs101. Total information for just about any project you run into. Fred should get a medal.

:thumb:

gabagoo

I see the term MDO used in just about all the posts here. I am not sure outside of the MDO used for building furniture and such, if we are talking the same beast? Up here in Canada, sign supply companies have never ever offered me MDO, but Crezon which is a plywood with a laminated back and a smooth lamnated working side already painted white and basically ready to go. Is it the same stuff? I wonder because the only MDO I have seen up here wouldn't last 3 weeks outside as it is more of a sponge. fill me in please.

Pat Whatley

Way to be a dick, JR. You want to explain where in the Google search of yours it would let anybody know if MDO and Crezon are the same things?

Gabagoo, Crezon is a brand of MDO. There are a lot of manufacturers of the stuff and they aren't all equal. The stuff I get from my sign material supplier is holding up great, the stuff I can buy at a local lumberyard is garbage.

GP

Now for my moment of newbie-ism -

I have only used the stuff from the lumberyard. Just moved to a higher end lumber supplier and theirs does seem marginally better than the place around the corner. Marginally more expensive as well. They do not offer pre-primed, however.

It seems to work fine, granted I need to plug a couple of spots after its ripped to size.

How does the "sign grade" MDO differ from what HOOD might offer?

Pat Whatley

Honestly, it's more of a "BRAND" issue, I think. Don't ask me what brands are good or bad...if yours is working it's good.:thumb: