• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New member from Toronto

iceracer

Hello:
New member from Toronto here, career summary (of sorts) follows.

I have had a long fascination with signs after seing a race car lettered by hand at Jane and Trethewey in Toronto.

I graduated in 1988 from George Brown College Graphic Sign Design and production 2 year program; George Krisman, Fred DeJong and Patrick Dowling presided then.

After graduation, I went to Florida and spent 6 months working for a fellow named Jerry Kendrick in Ocala. I had a great time while there and I learned a lot from Jerry. Sadly he passed away a few years after I returned to Canada.

I worked for a local screen printing company doing screen printing, and handlettering billboards, primarily for REMAX realty, I could paint out the remax balloon in my sleep.

In 1993 I joined, what was at the time the largest display company in Canada working in the graphics dept. I was quickly promoted to lead hand, then coordinator and then graphics dept manager. Sadly that company ceased operation in November 2007 and myself as well as about 100 others were out of work.

I've been plying my trade at general contracting gigs in the meantime, as I am very handy at building things and I am very good at finish work.
Having been exposed to the many facets of the sign trade has served me well.

I did purchase some of the equipment from my dept. at auction, like a Graphtec FC3100-120 plotter, A mimaki plotter and the Signmaker IVB which we sent to shows for onsite vinyl cutting, it is still a workhorse.

I'm still in the midst of getting things working with the plotters in my basement (long story as to why) and hope to have things remedied in the not too distant future.

I'm interested in any career opportunites that may be available, in the GTA in the sign and display fields. I will forward to anyone interested my resume and meet to discuss opportunities.

Thanks and I look forward to investigating this site further.
Regards, Terry