• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New member getting into sign field needs advice please!

JHibinger

Hello and thanks in advance for any help!

I work in a granite shop and we recently decided to try out making sandblasted signs. I'm doing research into what we need to do to get started doing this and need some advice.

We currently have a Graphtec FC5100-130 cutter/plotter. We are trying to figure out how to use this to be able to cut the sandblasting rubber/vinyl with this machine. I am trying to figure out what software would be good to use to do this. Would adobe Illustrator work? I tried using AutoCAD but i'm having problems mainly with the lettering and curves such as the letter O, it makes tons of tiny little cuts and does not come out nicely at all.

So if anyone could please give any advice and point me in the right direction that would be great! Thank you!

Jason

J Hill Designs

sounds like you already have cutting software, just need to create eps' to cut? autocad turns curves into a set of straight lines, so yeah not the best software - illustrator, coreldraw, hell even inkscape -- as long as you already have the software that sends cut files to the graphtec -- as for cutting the SB resist, 60degree blade alot of force, I even double cut my lines (copy/paste design over the top to create a double set of cut lines) and speed really slow, you should do fine...

welcome from cali :thumb:

rjssigns

AutoCad has a quirk. Anytime you draw you must do a "regen". This will smooth out the "steps" you see. Learned this while setting up files for the laser in my prototyping class. Sometimes you have to "regen" twice. You must get in the habit even if you are drawing squares and rectangles as dumb as that sounds. It makes a huge difference on quality of output.

SignManiac

Will you be blasting wood or HDU or both? What equipment do you currently have for a compressor and blast pot? Will you be gluing up your wood blanks and do you have all of the wood working tools like saws, planers, pipe clamps, etc.?

JHibinger

Thank you guys all for your input so far!

I will ask what material they are using, I am just the PC guy they call when they do new projects like this. So it is my job to figure out what software, hardware, etc... to use and then teach them how to do it.

Mainly my job is to figure out how to get the designs to be cut out of the sandblasting vinyl stuff. Such as what software to use, and then how to get the design sent to the plotter to cut it out!

Seems pretty straight forward from what i need to do, but then doing research there just seems to be so many different options and then the big question of will this Graphtec FC5100-130 support the software/material/ etc....

JHibinger

Ok, i have read and read and messed around with this and i'm going crazy....

I can't figure this out.... I can get the graphic opened in Illustrator, but from there I can't figure out what to do!! I see the plotter under my list of printers when I hit print, but it looks like it is just going to try and print the image to the plotter, and not cut it out. I also am not quite sure how to make sure the design I have is the appropriate size.... I didn't design this, someone else did and e-mailed it over. It's nothing fancy, just a basic outline of a building and the company name next to it.

But i'm stuck and don't want to just start sending things to the plotter and waste the material.

Also, right now the plotter is all set up to use just regular type paper.... well it's not regular paper, but the thickness is the same as paper. Do I need to adjust something on the plotter to handle the thicker vinyl stuff? I would imagine I do, but just want to be sure.

Sorry, this really isn't my area of expertise, but I told this guy i would do my best to figure this all out for him.

Thanks again!!

Mosh

In the 80's and 90's I did loads of sandblasted signs, they kinda when out of style...sorry.

4R Graphics

If I was you I would go down to a local vinyl sign company that does NOT do sandblasted signs. Talk with them so you can see it first hand should make it a little easier. If they dont do sandblast then there is no competition so more likely to help also they may want to sub out sandblast jobs to you guys in the future. Like I said find a local company and go down and talk with them you will get a better feel and pick it up quicker if you can see it the right way.

GB2

Old Member
As stated, you need another software plugin to work with Illustrator that will allow you to use your plotter direct from Illustrator, such as CoCut, Cutting Master Pro, Mimaki Finecut, etc.

Kevin-shopVOX

Ok, i have read and read and messed around with this and i'm going crazy....

I can't figure this out.... I can get the graphic opened in Illustrator, but from there I can't figure out what to do!! I see the plotter under my list of printers when I hit print, but it looks like it is just going to try and print the image to the plotter, and not cut it out. I also am not quite sure how to make sure the design I have is the appropriate size.... I didn't design this, someone else did and e-mailed it over. It's nothing fancy, just a basic outline of a building and the company name next to it.

But i'm stuck and don't want to just start sending things to the plotter and waste the material.

Also, right now the plotter is all set up to use just regular type paper.... well it's not regular paper, but the thickness is the same as paper. Do I need to adjust something on the plotter to handle the thicker vinyl stuff? I would imagine I do, but just want to be sure.

Sorry, this really isn't my area of expertise, but I told this guy i would do my best to figure this all out for him.

Thanks again!!

Go to graphtec's website and download the free cutting master pro 2 software if you haven't already. It will install a plugin for your illustrator (i think they work up to versions CS5) when you have you graphic open you need to go to File>Cutting Master Pro>Cut it will launch the production manager that will talk to the plotter. You can't just print to the plotter.

JoshLoring

I do a LOT of cut vinyl for sandblasting. I've used many vinyls and paint masks. Some work, some don't.
This depends on how deep you blast it. One of our clients blasts glass 1/2" deep. I have to use a think vinyl, laminate it and then cut it. Usually I just transfer paper it, they install it un-weeded and them remove the parts they need as they blast them. (this is so they can blast at different depths)
Some cases for light blasting we just cut regular vinyl.