Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new member intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by iSign, Nov 29, 2003.

1. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Hi folks,
    Bob G was asking me about use of an image of mine for a lesson he has planned. He mentioned an interest in posting the lesson in a few forums I was aware of, as well as this one.

I may have heard of this site once or twice, but finally checked it out. looks great so far from a quick look-see.

The first page that appeared "invited" me to introduce myself (as I guess most here have experienced in the past) so I will do so briefly.

I began working for an architectural sign company as an architectural draftsman in 1989. I began my self-taught understanding of computer graphics on the job at that company. I quickly realized that my ambitions twords an architectural career had been replaced by my immediate attraction to many aspects of graphic design & sign making. I spent the next 8 years at various signshop jobs spread over 3 states, 3 computer platforms (counting DOS) & at least 4 different specializations (architectural, quicky-sticky, engraving & screenprinting)

In 1997, I found myself in a position to take over a screenprinting-only signshop with a bunch of archaic equipment, a handful of repeat clients, & a business name & phone number that had a 20 year history on this small island.
    The terms were unbeatable, so I dragged my ambitious, yet financially destitute self up to the plate.

To me the rest is history, My life literally changed overnight. I gave up many self-sabotaging habits & began feeding off not only my known passion for sign design & production, but much to my surprise (& benefit) I discovered that the requirements & responsibilities of owning & running a business (of which I had no training) suited my personality almost as much as the production & design aspects.

So that about sums up any relevant introduction I would like to make.

(oh yeah, one more thing... I may be prone to long winded posts :) )

Tags:
  2. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Hi Doug, nice to see you here.:signs101:

3. THATgirl

THATgirl Very Active Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Hi Doug! :cool:

4. Dennis Raap

Dennis Raap Active Member

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    Welcome Doug :cool:

5. bob burns

bob burns Member

Sep 15, 2003
    HEY THERE!

6. Dale Horn

Dale Horn Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Welcome Doug,
    I don't mind your long posts at all. You always seem to have something constructive to say.:thumb:

7. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Aloha Kouko,
    Howzit, welcome to Signs101, great to see more familiar faces.

Rick

8. MAB SIGNS

MAB SIGNS Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Welcome...

Welcome Doug, not to worry I'm well known for long winded posts however I'll make this one short.

:signs101: