• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Member -- long time listener, first time poster

Morgeaux

Hi Everyone,

Our wall decal business is finally at the point where I need to quit my day job and jump into the (somewhat) sign business full time. We've figured out a lot along the way, mainly from sheer tenacity. I know I've got a lot to learn, and am hoping that I can pick a few very knowledgeable brains along the way.

A little about me (or rather our family business that I'm responsible for keeping in the black):
We started in 2008 with a cheap Chinese cutter, which we wore out in 4 months. We're now a Roland shop with 2 GX-300 and 2 CX-500 machines. We doubled our shop size last month so we now have 2500 sq feet and a lot of room to start growing. Our marketing strategy is a mix of newsletters, Facebook (20k+ fans!), and PPC advertising, which eats up a ridiculous amount of our margin. We have 16 employees, have been working on getting a new website for over a year (sigh), and am constantly bombarded by amazing ways to hand over money to everyone that wants to help streamline some aspect of our business or another.

My biggest pain point (beyond Google, that is): trying to find employees that can not only solve problems, but can identify that there is a problem in the first place.

So, am I jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire? Would any of you dump a perfectly respectable well-paying gig to start your business if you had to do it all over again?

~Morgan

Fitch

16 employees and 2500?

I don't think you need our help. Seem to be doing just fine but at least you recognize how a lot of money in also means a lot going out.

Simply do the math - scenario 1 with your gig, scenario 2 without.

See which wins - long term. You may not be able to get "a perfectly respectable well-paying gig" in a hurry.

Cheers - G