• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Member ... looking for advice on a printer die cutter for small runs.

stcroixmtn

Thank you for letting me join Signs 101, I am a new member and would like to introduce myself. My name is Annie. I've been in business for the past 12 years. We manufacture picture frames.
In the past my frames have been engraved, but I would like to offer the option of putting on a
COLOR logo on the frames, or heat press the logo onto the frames. I am open to suggestions for either some sort of printer-die cutter that would cut out the logos exactly. I would most likely only make about 1000 logos for the first year. The logos would only be about 3" x 3" and would be applied to a picture frame that is wood, and wouldn't be outside.
There are so many printer-die cutter machines out there, that I would like any feed back if possible to find one. Roland, HP, Gerber edge, Mimaki, or any other one you can inform me about. Many of the logos may have the color white in them also..I am looking for a sturdy printer-cutter... but it doesn't have to be huge for the type of logos- artwork that I would need made for my picture frames.
We tried a heat press to apply the logos from a company on my products, but the heat damaged the wood. They looked great, but the wood split. So I think my only option for color is to get a printer-cutter. Or is anyone familiar with digital inkjet printing that would go directly onto the wooden picture frame?
I would be so grateful to get any feedback from you members. Thank you!

Attachments

• Blank_S-35_Black_BG_copy.jpg
    Blank_S-35_Black_BG_copy.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Blank_S-35_Sideview_Black_BG_copy.jpg
    Blank_S-35_Sideview_Black_BG_copy.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 85

SIGNTIME

why not just order from a sign shop? seems a bit rediculous to buy a printer for 1000 small decal a year.

phototec

Thank you for letting me join Signs 101, I am a new member and would like to introduce myself. My name is Annie. I've been in business for the past 12 years. We manufacture picture frames.
In the past my frames have been engraved, but I would like to offer the option of putting on a
COLOR logo on the frames, or heat press the logo onto the frames. I am open to suggestions for either some sort of printer-die cutter that would cut out the logos exactly. I would most likely only make about1000 logos for the first year. The logos would only be about 3" x 3" and would be applied to a picture frame that is wood, and wouldn't be outside.
There are so many printer-die cutter machines out there, that I would like any feed back if possible to find one. Roland, HP, Gerber edge, Mimaki, or any other one you can inform me about. Many of the logos may have the color white in them also..I am looking for a sturdy printer-cutter... but it doesn't have to be huge for the type of logos- artwork that I would need made for my picture frames.
We tried a heat press to apply the logos from a company on my products, but the heat damaged the wood. They looked great, but the wood split. So I think my only option for color is to get a printer-cutter. Or is anyone familiar with digital inkjet printing that would go directly onto the wooden picture frame?
I would be so grateful to get any feedback from you members. Thank you!

If I am correct, your picture frame is made from the end of a ski, and the pointed end is turned up (not flat), if this is the case, I don't think you will be able to print directly on the curved wood frame.

Most direct substrate to printers must maintain a specific constant distance between the pint head and substrate, and the curved upward part of the frame would strike the print head, which is very bad.

I think your best option for the curved ski picture frame in to apply the logo that would be printed and die cut on a small printer like the Roland BN20 using a white vinyl material.

[video=youtube;d6J1yLQyGNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6J1yLQyGNE[/video]

:thumb:

watchdaride

If I am correct, your picture frame is made from the end of a ski, and the pointed end is turned up (not flat), if this is the case, I don't think you will be able to print directly on the curved wood frame.

Most direct substrate to printers must maintain a specific constant distance between the pint head and substrate, and the curved upward part of the frame would strike the print head, which is very bad.

I think your best option for the curved ski picture frame in to apply the logo that would be printed and die cut on a small printer like the Roland BN20 using a white vinyl material.

[video=youtube;d6J1yLQyGNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6J1yLQyGNE[/video]

:thumb:

Looked into one of these . $2300 to replace the head . From what i hear its very delicate . There is a guy selling one on craigslist in florida for $6K .

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

Howdy

Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years, the solvent ink will dry up in the head if not used frenquintly. For the amount you are planning to use it for, it is better to have someone else print it for you.

player

Because you decided your post needed to be in bold, I found it too unpleasant to read the whole post. Why would you make it bold like that? No other posts are bold.

stcroixmtn

Thank you for your help!

Do you have a rough idea how much you want to spend?

Like you've noticed there are tons of options out there...but maybe one of these would work for you.

To print directly on the boards (and would allow you to print on just about anything under 4" thick) http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printers/lef/

To print and cut decals to be applied to the boards http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/versavsi/

Both these options will print white but from what I've heard the UV white is much better (more opaque) than the solvent version.

Thank you very much for ideas, I really appreciate them.

stcroixmtn

why not just order from a sign shop? seems a bit rediculous to buy a printer for 1000 small decal a year.

Thank you for your response. I would be making small runs of many different logos. I feel in the long run getting my own will be more profitable for me.

CanuckSigns

would you be producing all the logos at one time or would you be making them as you need them?

if all at once I would vote for sending the job out to someone with the equpiment (i.e. sign shop)

for the quantities you are quoting, I would seriously avoid buying your own printer, the cost for a set of ink cartridges alone for your printer would cost more than a sign shop would charge you to make 1000 decals, not to mention vinyl, waste, laminate, maintenance etc.