• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New member needs help

DonW

New member to the forum needs advice on a project.

I have a customer that wants me to produce about 40 8 x 10 inch aluminum signs. The blanks that I am using are .040 and cannot have any holes in them. I need to find a method to hang each sign so they can be displayed indoors on a wall. I thought about adhesive hang tags but I am concerned about their longevity.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We've notched and bent the top and bottom of an aluminum sign to make a invisible "standoff" type install... Hangs on screws and you can make it any depth you want.

DonW

bearwen,

VHB tape would be great except the customer wants them to be easily repositionable? Perhaps I could use vhb to fasten a sawtooth hangar on the sign?

Jillbeans

The VHB doesn't hold those sawtooth hangers for very long, even on small lighter panels.
Unfortunately I have no other ideas.
I think the notch and bend suggestion is a great one.
Love....Jill

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd think hangars moutned to the back with VHB would work fine as long as they have a decent amount of surface area. In other words off the shelf sawtooths probably would not work. You could easily make your own with some aluminum strips and a vice to bend them into sort of an upside down v. Maybe a half inch x 1 inch surface area for the VHB to stick it.

Another option might be a french cleat setup but would use a lot more material. I've cut up scraps of 6mm and 10mm pvc to make french cleats quite a few times. On the sign panel side you can even easily make a small notch dead center for it to hang on a nail instead of the other half of the cleat. This allows you to make the surface aread for the VHB to sign as big as you feel is needed.

Marlene

are these signs that will hung on the walls permanently? if so, 3M VHB tape will work. just let them know that if it is sheetrock, it could take part of the wall off if they remove these later. we use the high bond foam tape, not the clear thin high bond to hang ADA signs which weigh more than your .040 will and it works.

rjssigns

Get some SEM panel adhesive from your auto-body supply store. It is a two part epoxy. Attach the sawtooth hangers with that. They use this instead of welding when replacing body panels on cars/trucks.

DonW

Thank you all for the advice. I think I know have a couple of options to pursue.

The assistance is appreciated!

lassiter

3M makes a velcro like product called "Dual Lock" that holds heavier objects than velcro. Otherwise like stated in this thread, we use foam tape or VHB in combonation with silicone.