• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Member Needs Your Help

vagabond

I currently make vinyl signs, I have bid on a pretty large job that will require a wide format printer. I am thinking of the Epson 4800 or the Canon 5000. My question is, all of these signs will be the same size - with 4 lines of text. I am wondering how to print these signs without having to center and align my text each time. Currently if one line has 10 letters and the next sign has 6 letters I have to re-align or re-center. Any help would be helpful. I will be doing about 1000 signs on short notice 4 times per year. I am a one man show and will only have about 5 days for each project. Thank You

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
making signs fast

Let me see if I got this strait. What is required is that you produce about 1000 signs within a 5 day period. There are several designs involved so screen printing is out. This is a one person job.

A picture of shop personnel rolling on the floor laughing comes to mind. Captioned by "you want it when."

If you could cut and weed the vinyl in 3 days you could probably mount them all in 2 days with the Big Squeegee.

If you could print them then the mounting could start the second day and you could take 4 days to print them. even then this needs to be a pretty fast printer.

Are we talking yard signs here? Full coverage? One color?

:Welcome: to :signs101: From Oklahoma.​

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not sure why you would have to realign or recenter the text if you have made the text justification settings as centered in Corel and if the text height entry remains unchanged.

vagabond

12"X18" posterboard I use corel 10. "I will not be doing these in vinyl" I will be purchasing a printer. only 15 to 20 percent coverage, one color. Thanks for your help. Do any of you currently use either of the printers that I am considering. What would be the print time approx. on each sign. Here is a sample of what I will be printing, I have no say what so ever in design, layout, or font.

Chevrolet
Impala
54k Miles

Last edited:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I agree with Fred on this one. I take it you will be printing directly on the poster board.

Make the page in Corel the same size as the posterboard and center justify.

Ron Helliar

:Welcome:
I don't use this printer, but published speeds are 5 minute per 16"x20". High speed mode suggests cutting that time in half. I would go further and think a maximum 1.5mm posterboard will slow the machine further. If my math is correct: 2.5minutes per print x 1000 units = 2500 minutes / 60 = 41.66 contiguous hours of printing production only without mistakes or errors (human or machine). Your sample copy provided also implies 1000 different layouts. Artwork design, rip and or print driver processing time, are other issues to deal with. I cannot see how this can be accomplished without 3-5 additional skilled people, 2-3 printers (of this size), a sequential data rip or outsourced to a firm with the appropriate resources. I personally would not bid on this job with the information provided. I'd like to be of more help or hope but I don't see where you win here.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have no experience with either printer but based on loading material, changing copy and sending the different versions, you will be doing well to complete 15 to 20 posters per hour. Therefore you should plan on 50 to 70 hours of production time.

vagabond

Thanks to all for your advise, I hope "If my math is correct: 2.5minutes per print x 1000 units = 2500 minutes / 60 = 41.66 contiguous hours of printing production only without mistakes or errors (human or machine)." this is correct. I see no problem getting this done in 5 days, my only question is what are the "3 to 5 skilled people doing"

Here is what I have planned in my mind for this first printing job. If it takes 2.5 minutes to print I should have the other layout ready to print by the time the printer gets done. Again, the layout stays the same , but the content of the text changes (changes from Chevrolet to Volvo).

Thank You all and if you have more advice I'd love to have it.

Ron Helliar

My apologies, I may be looking at this in a different light. I usually have to attend to business management during the day (payroll, bids, phones, etc.). I could not afford to dedicate 40-75+ hours without interruption to a singular job. In my workflow, I see several people needed for typesetting & moving the printing & post production through, in addition to other jobs in the que. In that light, I would elect to outsource or automate the job within our workflow. You may have more time & resources to dedicate to a focused project.

I could not afford to dedicate 40-75+ hours without interruption to a singular job

Not many, if any, people could. At the very least, a job like this would require an additional employee - even if only temporary - of course an additional cost to factor.

Another thing that many have not mentioned yet. A fifty hour job that is due in 5 days constitutes a rush order. It does not mean that it is not possible but it will definitely displace any workflow, at the time of order.

Our suggestion would be to start out with two job orders (assuming that the complete orders would be identical), while getting a full payment on the first, and a 50% deposit on the second.

vagabond

With the info provided on these signs, how much would you charge this customer, per sign. The posterboard precut is going to cost me about $.80 each. Again these are 12"X18" and about 15-20 percent fill. BTW this is the most informitive forum I have ever been on (on any subject). Thanks for your help.

Actually, you already know.

Here is what I have planned in my mind for this first printing job. If it takes 2.5 minutes to print I should have the other layout ready to print by the time the printer gets done

If you estimate using the above info - you will get:

- 50 hours design labor and printing time: $85 x 50 hours = $4250
(From what you stated in the above quote, you will be working as much as the printer and walking back and forth)
- 1000 pcs posterboard: $800 x 2 - $1600
(We normally double our materials but by no means, in our opinion, should you ever go below 50% markup)
- Ink costs vary BUT: .50 to .75 sf x 1.5 x 1000 = $750 X 2 = $1500 up to $2260
(In our opinion, forget the "coverage". We are not talking vinyl. We use the footage of the substrate. Printers, like all other machines, wear - and that costs money. Also, 50 cents for ink is with all of the stars being aligned just right and is really pushing it.)

Grand total $7350 to $7860.

Careful about the promises of future orders. If you do not have a deposit on a future order you do NOT have a future order. Many will use these promises to get better pricing out of you.

Just curious, where are you sourcing your posterboard? Just FYI, not all posterboard is designed to get printed and you must be sure that it IS compatible with your printer and ink.