• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New mid volume printer choices.

Bly

I'm thinking of getting a new eco solvent printer in a few months.
We have a Roland 745EX and it's fine for what it is but I need something a little quicker on vinyl and paper.
I was thinking of the new Seiko V64S or maybe the Epson GS6000. Anything else in this price range?
Any owners of either of these care to share their experience.
Thanks.

speedmedia

I have heard tons of rave reviews on the Epson and matter of fact am in the final stages of putting on my order for one.

The new Seiko looks pretty impressive as well but I haven't seen or heard anyone with one yet.

Thanks,
Kurt

Bly

I should clarify I've read all the posts here about the Epson.
Anyone got the Seiko or anything else that compares?

Thanks guys.

Bly

Throughput, no specific requirements. Just want to get rush jobs done as quick as possible.

I know nothing of the Mimakis or Mutohs.

cdiesel

The Mutoh's aren't going to be fast enough if you're looking for more speed over your Roland. The Epson really isn't that much faster either. The Seiko is fairly fast, and the price wasn't too bad (At ISA they were running specials of like $60k for the 100").

Bly

The Mutoh's aren't going to be fast enough if you're looking for more speed over your Roland. The Epson really isn't that much faster either. The Seiko is fairly fast, and the price wasn't too bad (At ISA they were running specials of like $60k for the 100").

Thanks, that's the kind of info I'm after. So the V64S is faster than the others in this class? I know the new 74 and 100 are way faster but more than my budget atm.

cdiesel

I'm not positive on the V64S.. the model we looked at was the 100", and they said it was printing at about 450sf/hr, and the print looked outstanding.
For $30kUS, you can get a Roland XJ740 that'll print 74" wide and run about 150sf/hr in production mode. You can kick that up to about 300sf/hr in high speed banner mode, and 450sf/hr in billboard mode (we only use billboard for mesh banners and literally billboards).
The Mimakis may be a nice option too. The Roland VersArt machines are nice also, and they're not as expensive as the XJ series.

Bly

I guess another Roland would make sense with the same inks although I think they're a bit too expensive.
Well thanks for the info and advice, definitely need to do more research on this.

The Roland has to be the fastest for the buck, and why change hardware?

Then you gota run another rip in most cases and learn how to run a entirely different piece of equipment and believe me they all are different in the way they do things.

Chris is the V64 running a variable dot head or fixed at 100" ?

When most company's add equipment of course you take into account the price, but you really should be focusing more on production and through-put. If you are a Roland user then in my dealings with production print shops that run roland when they go to another brand it is a bit more difficult especially when you got that big job and you end up running 1 job on 2 different types of printers.

I CALL THAT HEADACHE CITY ..... You gotta live by the K.I.S.S. theory

Are you refering to the 1600 series mutoh? I dont really see a BIG difference in speed between the Epson and the dual head mutoh.... Maybe a bit faster but nothing thats of proportion in production sense.

Adam Bennett

From Epsons site:

"For unsurpassed print quality up to 91 square-foot-per-hour (SFPH) or everyday production quality printing up to 180 SFPH"

From Mutohs' site:

"ValueJet 1618-64” Dual Headed 8 Channel Printer... reaching speeds up to an astonishing 480 square feet per hour in production mode. "

gnemmas

Do you consider the ink cost when buying printers?

Our ink cost per month are way more than printer leasing payment.

Can you chip in on you ink cost for your brand printer?

My Mimaki & Valuejt use same ink at $125/liter.

cdiesel

From Epsons site:

"For unsurpassed print quality up to 91 square-foot-per-hour (SFPH) or everyday production quality printing up to 180 SFPH"

From Mutohs' site:

"ValueJet 1618-64” Dual Headed 8 Channel Printer... reaching speeds up to an astonishing 480 square feet per hour in production mode. "

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Mutoh doesn't list speed per mode, just an "up to" speed. I guarantee you won't be printing 720x720 at 480sf/hr!

From Epson's Spec Sheet

Print Engine SpeedsA

1440 x 1440 dpi, 16-pass32 SFPH
1440 x 720 dpi, 8-pass71 SFPH
720 x 720 dpi, 8-pass91 SFPH
540 x 720 dpi, 6-pass122 SFPH
720 x 720 dpi, 4-pass180 SFPH
720 x 360 dpi, 2-pass340 SFPH