• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new monument project

J Hill Designs

Hey guys - starting a new monument project, will be showing and updating a step by step - hope this is interesting and/or helpful to at least one of you

:thumb:

Welded up the frame, now to start on the skin

1"x1" aluminum square tubing framework, 1/8" aluminum sheet skin.

Will have stucco finish, western red cedar T&G siding, 1/4 & 3/4 PVC lettering/logo, cultured flagstone base.

more to come.

Also attached is a final drawing (address/phone deleted for security)

Attachments

• 043012135614.jpg
    043012135614.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 93
  • WPP_mon.jpg
    WPP_mon.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 92

SignManiac

How will you be attaching that to your footers and will that be structurally strong enough to not blow over in high winds?

SignManiac

I've never used or heard of J-bolts before? Is the hook set in concrete and the bolt goes through the base of the sign and then the nut screws down on that with a washer I assume?

xxaxx

Very nice ... I have always gone from seeing my design on screen to the final product ... very cool to see how its all put together. :D

TwoNine

Cool, cool! Can't wait to see them finished - I love the design. Going to look amazing - especially with the cedar - Tis' going to look SHARP! Congrats and I look forward to the updates!

-Chad

skyhigh

Definitely like the proof. I'm sure it will look great. How do you plan to support/mount this cabinet?

J Hill Designs

How do you plan to support/mount this cabinet?

4) 8" x 1/2" J-Bolts embedded 6" into the concrete footing (set prior to pour) and tied into the rebar - sign bolted to J-bolts by the 4) clips you see in the bottom of the frame

edit: thx for the compliments guys - ill have more pics on Friday pre and post acrylic stucco

skyhigh

I'm surprised you don't need more support for the top of the sign.

Definitely a great looking sign. :thumb:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
On quite a few of the monument signs attached to footings, I call out j-bolts using a thick base plate on the cabinet and run reinforcement to the top of the sign at the area of the bolt connection.

I call out internal post occasionally but still like to bolt the monument cabinet down to the base... too many times I have been on jobs where existing sign can be moved around or even pulled off it's post.

skyhigh

I'm probably an overkill kinda guy. This is an install I did last week using "J" bolts. Most of the time my projects are a direct burial.

The j-bolts were almost 3 ft long by 1 inch, that were bolted thru a 1" thick steel plate (I had these laying around, and they were the perfect size). The cabinet had 3/4" plates that used 3/4" bolts. I have steel post inside to support the T&T units, although I did run these supports to the top of the cabinet.

Next week we will install the monument base, to match another one of their locations.

Attachments

• Install6.jpg
    Install6.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Install5.jpg
    Install5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 67
  • base.jpg
    base.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 78
  • stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

FS-Keith

not to jump the gun because i know your not done with it. but it doesnt look like you put any steel in your signs? you expect the sign to be held to the ground with a small 6" 2x2 alum angle welded to a 1x1 tube at the very bottom of the sign?

J Hill Designs

Heres photos of finished stucco, and ready for install :thumb: will submit final pics after ledgestone gets installed

Attachments

• 050912130507.jpg
    050912130507.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 051512123745.jpg
    051512123745.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 77