• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Nova Artists Paint

Joe Crumley

Nova Color Paint:
www.novacolorpaint.com

I'm kind of mad at the big paint manufacturers after using Nova. For years sign painters have been led down a dead end roads when it comes to paints. Those days are over with the introduction of Nova Color. While they've been in business for approx. ten years, most of us are just learning about them.

This is a water based, exterior latex, that dries quickly. About ten minutes.And it can be mixed with your other latex. Their deep colors are beautiful, notsticky and dry fast.

Far and away this paint is superior to any other on the market
when it comes to covering power. Not only that it comes in 8oz, 16oz right up to 5gal. One coat is all you need to cover.. A second coat is good for
longevity.

I'd bet everyone has seen how the big paint mfg. mix color. They squirt a little color into a transparent base. That's OK for light colors but when it comes to the deep rich hue's it fails on several fronts. For
example it takes lots of coats and ends up sticky. It takes days for a good
maroon, dark blue green, green, or brown to set up. To the best of my knowledge, all the big paint manufactures fail the opacity, drying time tests on the deep hue's.

If you would like this product you'll need to contact Nova
directly for a color chart. It isn't a printed. They splash on dots of paint on
card stock. The paint comes in Transparent, Translucent, and opaque. So don't
mess up with that. You will need to see their color chart examples. O, by the
way, this isn't an expensive product. The cost for most of their paint is market
value. About the same prices as the big boys “GOO” paint.

Try it
you'll love it. I promise.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Joe Crumley

I agree, we're all concerned about how long a paint will last. The fellows who are most credible are the Wall Dogs. That's where I heard about this paint. When you lay it down it's dead flat. I've been using Modern Masters UV clear as a top coat although I'm not sure it's necessary. You gotta get some for a try out. I've never seen anything as creamy smooth. It reminds me of Yogurt.

Craig Sjoquist

Modern Master Paints come about equal to Novacolor & Nova color maybe last longer.

My 1st use of NovaColor was in Arcola, & also Kewanee Walldog meets.

Since Arcola I've been slowing buying products & color I now will have a full line of retarders & gessco to test on several colors.

At present when thinking waterbase ..NovaColor is 1st & also will replace 90% of my oil based work.

You can roll it smooth & it will brush fairly smooth as well.

Yes a learning curve for mixing & consistency in applying. ...but ya learn fast ... by the way do not use with water ...use retarders

round man

not that I'm a big fan of latex based paints but from what I've seen from the walldog meet efforts the nova coloris are holding up outside better than any of the current sign paints out there,...this is of course with a protective clear final top coat on the murals,...

Joe Diaz

Pontiac was one of the first Walldog meets to use Nova. That was in 09. All of the murals in the last few Walldog meets have been all painted with Nova, however in Pontiac about half of them were. We as a group were still warming up to the idea of painting with it. The rest were painted in OneShot, Ronan and I think Gary Anderson's may have been painted with Porter (which is another fantastic paint for mural painting). I'll have to check in on that, he may have used Nova too. Anyway, we have some murals painted with Nova facing North, West, East and South, some cleared over, some not, same goes for the oil base paints. What we are finding is that Nova is outlasting the oil based paints, which are beginning to show some age. But the Nova painted murals still look great. We kind of view Pontiac as the proving grounds for some of these paints. But there are other nice things about Nova not counting how well it seems to be holding up. It covers well, It comes in some real nice vibrant colors and if you are used to working with Acrylics, it's easy and fun to paint with. We use the stuff for non mural projects too. It's good stuff.
:thumb:

Joe Crumley

Craig,
Many of us are new to this paint and could use your advice about blending and thinning.
My order contained some transparent and opaque colors but I didn't order any extender. Is this a product I need to order or can I use any latex medium?
Joe

Joe Crumley

Craig,
Many of us are new to this paint and could use your advice about blending and thinning.
My order contained some transparent and opaque colors but I didn't order any extender. Is this a product I need to order or can I use any latex medium?
Joe

Joe Diaz

Hey Joe,
Nova's Slow Dry Matte Liquid can be used for thinning and blending. Some are even using Pledge Floor Care for blending, believe it or not. However, we have found that it slows the drying process too much. We experimented with Pledge in one spot on a mural we did this year, when we went back to clear the mural later we had some issues where we used Pledge. So I would recommend using the Slow Dry Matte for blending.

Joe Crumley

Joe, Much obliged. Another quality I've noticed this paint has a staining quality. Perhaps that's because it's so intense. Their Rubine transparent color is almost like a dye. Wonderfully strong.

Jillbeans

It's a bit of a learning curve, but I thought Nova was nice because you only needed soap and water to clean it up, and even though a few colors required double and triple coats, the drying time is really fast.
The colors are gorgeous, and if they last long, which they are seeming to outlast 1Shot, that's great.
There are two additives that I call "semen" or "snot" and depending on your painting condition (hot and sunny, smooth or rough surface) either help a lot. I would not use water or Pledge with them though.
Also like that they come in plastic jars with twist-off lids. And their color chart is indeed cool.
I think I will gradually be switching over. Thanks to Craig's help and the loan of his brushes, I was able to get along OK with Nova.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• 0729131734.jpg
    0729131734.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 112

Craig Sjoquist

Joe C
My experience is limited just really in a learning curve, since Arcola been ordering supplies from Nova & now just arrived is my 2nd order.
Kewanee experience was on a super rough wall so the #233 novaplex white cream,#299 acrylic retarder clear paste, what Jill is talking about, we went through over a gal of #233
also used it to get a roller mark free on smooth areas, on another mural.

Has not tried what Joe D mentioned #217 slow dry matte liquid.

Also available is #235 novaplex white more liquid of #233 used for spraying
#213 flex gel is used for fabric.

This product is indeed interesting & desires good credit for what it has done, if using paint, this product is it.
I still use Ronans Aquacote when I know it will work best.

Last edited:

Joe Crumley

Thanks for the update Craig. Lets keep in touch on the ways to use this paint. It's a fun learning curve. How do you create a paragraqph in this forum?

coyote

I am hoping to use Nova paint on some HDU carved/gold leaf signs. We used to use Duron Weathershield which had a number of "off the shelf" colors in a deep pigment base. These have been discontinued, and the neutral base paints are awful. We've also had some gold leaf failures-and in 20 years, this is new and disturbing. I've been reading that the plasticizers and fungicides added to these exterior colors can migrate up through other coats of paint. I don't like to use 1-Shot because it chalks over time, and the expansion and contraction of the substrate can cause crazing.

So, to get to my question: do the paints have any gloss or are they dead flat? We like a semi gloss finish, so will I have to topcoat or is there a gloss additive that we can use? And, for the deep blues-do they have an opaque, or will the semi transparent cover in multiple coats? I've emailed the company, but haven't heard back.

I also looked into Modern Masters, but our local suppliers only carry the metallics. So, where to buy? thanks all, sorry for length here.

Joe Crumley

Their Opaque paint is just that and dry's flat. The transparent colors will cover with extra coats but what's the point? Look, call them and get their color chart. That's a must with Nova! At some point you may want to purchase 8oz. jars and give them a try. I topcoat with MM UV clear to get a gloss. You may want to mix a little of this in your paint to get the sheen desired. Joe