• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New office....Valuejet not connecting!!

Signsforwhile

Ok what am I missing. Moved our valuejet into a new proudction room which we had prewired with CAT5. Two outlets run out to a router, one for the computer and one for the printer, which is essentially how it was set up in the other room except we had cables running on the floor. What am I missing - IP on the printer matches the IP in production manager, but cannot open part. If I try to ping the IP of the printer it gets timed out. What am I doing wrong?!!!!!

jiarby

do you get link lights on the router/switch?
No>? Bad Cable, Bad Switch Port, Bad Ethernet Card in Printer, Loose/Broken RJ45 connector, Used crossover cable instead of straight, Jack wired incorrectly, etc...

Yes>? IP in Printer different (192.168.0.x versus 192.168.1.x), Bad subnet mask, Bad default gateway (did the router IP change?)
Have you updated printer firmware (overwriting old IP config)

Swap the PC & Printer cables /// Does the computer work on BOTH ports?

Put a cable tester on it and see if you have any wire breaks in the cable.

You didn't do something stupid like run one cable and try to split the pairs to create two jacks did you?

Last edited:

Signsforwhile

ok out of the office now so i cant check on most of that.

i do know there is a link because both ends light up, and they are wired correctly.

we tested both runs and there are no breaks, they both work. and they are TWO SEPARATE runs.

if i use the browse feature in production manager instead of only selecting tcp/ip and entering my IP address manually, i can find the printer on the network. if I ad it that way, the job rips, says its printing, deletes itself and a new job is created called "unknown.prt", and nothing comes out of the printer.

what kills me is that it worked an hour before when it was hooked up in the other room...

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
If there was never a router or switch hardware in the middle before how did it connect to the network port of the the PC? Was it a crossover cable? If so then you have to nix the xover and go to a regular cable.

Lots of other network troubleshooting ideas that I can help with. PM if you like. My day job is to run a network of over 200 PC and 14 servers between 5 buildings.

Signsforwhile

there was a router. the setup is exactly the same. the only difference is we moved it into an office that was prewired for us with jacks. all of the jacks work and are wired correctly and there are no breaks in the lines. we had the electrician double check everything today just in case.

i just find it strange that i can browse for it as a printer in windows.....but cannot ping it

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
OK Dumb question - when you are viewing throug the browser is it connecting via ip address or device name?

Stealth Ryder

The IP Scheme changed via the router from one location to the other, most likely... Or, the wall jacks are not terminated correctly...

Typestries

ok, this "sounds" silly, but any chance that cat 5 cable in the wall runs right up against a power line? 110, 220, whatever. There's a very good chance it wont work properly. You may get a link light, but not proper data transmission. Wanna guess how I know? Just a thought trying to help.

You might wanna run some cable on the floor just to rule out the printer and PC then you can start looking in your walls (assuming it's not an IP issue/conflict)

heyskull

I will add my little bit....

Also check that some other machine/computer has not stolen your IP address of your machine.
When my work partner brings her laptop into work it always hijacks the same IP address!
This put me out of business for 3 days and much head scratching before I discovered what was going on.

SC

Keith Rae

Had same problem with with a led wireless display sign. So little current is sent down the cable that A bad spot in the cable, or bad cable placement and induction build up from other electrical circuits can and will effect it. Changed cable and root and the problem went away even though every thing checked out with the tester. Use cat 6 cable it is better insulated and less likely to be effected by outside sources. I have a 100' store bought cat 5e cable that I string out to rule out bad network cables when having troubles let's me know where or where not to look.

Stealth Ryder

Example:

From a Command Prompt type IPCONFIG

What IP is the router assigning to the NIC in the computer? 192.168.000.004
What is the Subnet Mask? 255.255.255.000
What is the Gateway Address (Router) 192.168.000.001

Your Printer should look something like this:

IP: 192.168.000.253
Subnet: 255.255.255.000
Gateway: 192.168.000.001

The IP Address associated with the Printer in the Production Manager should be: 192.168.000.253

Last edited:

Signsforwhile

Example:

From a Command Prompt type IPCONFIG

What IP is the router assigning to the NIC in the computer? 192.168.001.004
What is the Subnet Mask? 255.255.255.000
What is the Gateway Address (Router) 192.168.001.001

Your Printer should look something like this:

IP: 192.168.001.253
Subnet: 255.255.255.000
Gateway: 192.168.001.001

The IP Address associated with the Printer in the Production Manager should be: 192.168.001.253

still not working.

i dont get why i cant ping the printer, but i can see it when i browse for it

ATTACH]56937[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Browse.jpg
    Browse.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 140

jiarby

What about a trace route?

Trace Route!? There is only one thing between the PC & the printer...(the router). What do you expect that a tracert will tell you? They are on the same switch!

My computer & printer are both plugged into the same little D-Link switch (which is uplinked to a router). The d-link is a dumb device and cannot respond to tcpip queries, so essentially my tracert does not contain any hops (see below)

C:\Users\jiarby>tracert 192.168.1.250

Tracing route to 192.168.1.250 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.250

Trace complete.

If I disconnect the printer cable I will get a "unreachable" message.... duh.. we knew that already!

C:\Users\jiarby>tracert 192.168.1.250

Tracing route to 192.168.1.250 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 DeathStar [192.168.1.3] reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\jiarby>

(deathstar is my design workstation and *.250 is my mutoh)

Tracert will not help in this instance, and he already said it does not ping. He said it does respond to Windows (he can "see it") but not PING it.

There is an error in the TCPIP configuration somewhere.

Also check that some other machine/computer has not stolen your IP address of your machine.
When my work partner brings her laptop into work it always hijacks the same IP address!
This put me out of business for 3 days and much head scratching before I discovered what was going on.

It is dumb to give a printer an IP address in your DHCP scope, but many default printer installations (installation "wizards") do just that so the user does not have to mess with it and create lots of stupid & expensive setup helpdesk support calls. You have to be sure to use a static address for printers. Make sure those static IP's are not part of your router's DHCP scope.

jiarby

i dont get why i cant ping the printer, but i can see it when i browse for it

Windows can use a different protocol to communicate with devices on the network. It does not rely solely on TCPIP (AppleTalk, for example... or NetBIOS/NetBUI, WINS, etc..)

It is an indication that the physical connection may be OK.. which means that the problem is in the TCPIP configuration. Maybe the workstation, maybe the RIP setup, maybe the printer itself. Make sure they all match.