Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question New or used?

Discussion in 'Laminators' started by Adam Conrad, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Adam Conrad

Adam Conrad Premium Subscriber

Jul 28, 2020
    Hollidaysburg PA
    We need a laminator for low production in house.
    Thoughts on buying a new Seal 54el for $5700
    Or a used 62c on ebay for $4900? I am only working with printed vinyl usually 54" to laminate one side so I don't think I need heat. I like the idea of a wider laminator and possibly could use the extra width. I definitely need a laminator for mounting prints to substrate and for vehicle wraps.
    I appreciate any feedback.

Tags:
  2. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I’m not familiar with either machine or their conditions but If you have a 64” printer I’d get a bigger laminator. If you have a 54” printer, you probably only need the 54” laminator unless planning to upgrade.

That being said, most printers come pretty standard as 64” nowadays and having the extra width can’t really have any downsides.

With regards to heat, we need heat with our UV printer to stop slivering. But even when just mounting prints the heat does make them go down nice and smooth. Just makes the vinyl a bit more malleable. Not necessary but nice to have also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I'm a fan of new unless there is a huge variance in the price or it's a non critical tool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Adam Conrad

Jul 28, 2020
    Hollidaysburg PA
    Thanks for the feedback. I suspected having top heat would be an advantage.
    I have a 64" printer so it would make sense to go for the lager laminator. Used is $4900 and new for that Seal base 64 is at least double that.

5. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    the 64" laminator can inspire you to get a 64" printer in the future

since both choices are seal, i won't go on about my high opinion of seal product, but i don't think buying a used seal is any sort of a gamble as long as the rollers are in good shape

• Like Like x 1
  6. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    I have a used 64" Royal Sovereign for a very low cost if you are interested.

7. Adam Conrad

Jul 28, 2020
    Hollidaysburg PA
    Sent you a pm

8. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Laminating requires perfect rollers. Go new. Another aspect is how many feet the laminator will laminate without "candy caning" or skewing. Once it starts going off it goes more and more very quickly. So I vote new. If you are budget conscious and/or you're not high production there are low cost off shore alternatives. USTECH Laminators are popular. They have a variety of models. http://www.masterwarehouse.com/us/down_for_maintenance.html?zenid=jj6b3kpdhlja71jdbs0pibhas6
    The website was down for maintenance, hopefully not closed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    For low volume you can use a Big Squeegee for laminating and mounting. :welcome: 2 :signs101smilie:

• Like Like x 1