• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Print Business - What Equipment Do You Recommend

hatlesschimp

Hi Friends,

I'm looking seriously at starting a printing business. Currently eyeballing the Mimaki JFX200-2513EX and UCJV300-160.

Im 37yo and live abiut 80kms from Melbourne, Australia. Im tired of working for the man and want to do my own thing now, used to be a mech fitter by trade and used to maintain big industrial carpet printers.

Currently I have a 1390 Co2 Laser Cutter and CNC Router 1313 and been making signs on the laser and CNC and finishing them with Paint, Stain, etc etc. Been operating out of my Garage and doing an ok job but I'm running out of space when making multiple objects at once so looking to move to a small factory that's close to home.

I stumbled onto the UV printers and love what they can do. Was looking at buying from Focus Inc in China a 1311 Flatbed UV printer for 30k. But warmed to the idea of buying Mimaki printers on finance and having local support.
I'm not exactly sure what I want to print or make I just love being creative and want to produce quality items that look great. I love how the flatbed uv printers can layer and add depth & clear gloss to areas as well.
Making stickers on the UCJV300-160 for local companies with texture excites me too. Would love to help other local companies elevate their products to another level. But also the ability to do vinyl for cars also is interesting and I have been asked already twice to do fleets of vehicles for people with just door logos and tailgates.

So one of my main questions would be will I be able to make profit with these two mimaki printers and my other machines in the CNC and Co2 Laser Cutter if I have expenses of $2,500 AUD per week?

Next is do you think this current climate can support it. How is your businesses going at moment?

I've read the HP make a good latex printer for car vinyls so maybe keep the Mimaki setup with ink better for the stickers etc and clear ink.

How much material should I look at getting for startup and what types. I guess people with these type of printers will know what they like to print on and also what they print a lot of.

Anyways thanks for reading and would love to hear your thoughts. As I said I'm 37 and have a young family of 3 and looking to risk something to try and make some extra cash and hopefully I can help others around me in my community with my printing.

Cheers

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Welcome from north of the border.

Don't forget to budget for a laminator and contour cutter as well. You'll need these regardless of whichever printer you choose. If buying new, these will run you close to AUD$15k for reputable machines.

hatlesschimp

Welcome from north of the border.

Don't forget to budget for a laminator and contour cutter as well. You'll need these regardless of whichever printer you choose. If buying new, these will run you close to AUD$15k for reputable machines.
Yeah I got the Mimaki laminator but was unsure on the cutting / rolling table, It's 80k. Where as a UCJV300-160 is 30k to 40k.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Ain't nobody going to be able to tell if You can make $20 000 sales a month out of nowhere. I would not just jump in cold water, you will have a big headache if you have nothing to use the machines for, nobody to sell to.
At least do not buy two expensive machines at the same time that you alone have to try and use. Start with one (I recommend roll because you can make boards with that as well) and only after that consider again if you even have the need or time to use a different machine.
You might not understand how much time it takes to run these machines (and two!!!), how much it really costs to have them sitting and spitting ink doing nothing all day long. Laser maintenance and upkeep is Nothing compared to printers. Making designs, finishing, selling the products.... You will have a handful.

This guy works alone, I think you can relate to him at least at some level. And he started small, still regrets to having bought the flatbed at this time.

Last edited:

hatlesschimp

Ain't nobody going to be able to tell if You can make $20 000 sales a month out of nowhere. I would not just jump in cold water, you will have a big headache if you have nothing to use the machines for, nobody to sell to.
At least do not buy two expensive machines at the same time that you alone have to try and use. Start with one (I recommend roll because you can make boards with that as well) and only after that consider again if you even have the need or time to use a different machine.
You might not understand how much time it takes to run these machines (and two!!!), how much it really costs to have them sitting and spitting ink doing nothing all day long. Laser maintenance and upkeep is Nothing compared to printers. Making designs, finishing, selling the products.... You will have a handful.

This guy works alone, I think you can relate to him at least at some level. And he started small, still regrets to having bought the flatbed at this time.

Thanks bro! I will watch the vids now!

rjssigns

On point, but dude bit off a big chunk. T-shirts, vinyl, flatbed work, banners, postcards etc...YIKES!!!! I'm overwhelmed just listening to him. Printing is only part of it. Getting things ready to print and print finishing takes a lot of time too. Then add in answering phones, emails, walk-ins and you have a crushing workload. Cant see where a 10 or ever 20 day lead time will do anything. He is the "Herbie"(see Goldratt's The Goal) of the operation.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Welcome! We're from melbourne too! Just a bit closer than you are :p

I would also recommend watching the videos.

Printers are not cheap. And not cheap to let sitting around printing once a week.
I would suggest to outsource first. Get enough work to justify your own printer.

We have a fair few clients who are laser cutters that get prints done by us. Some don't have enough work to justify one and some do. Those that do have the work to own one, they continue to outsource as they know they'd need to learn to use it, hire someone to operate it and do all the prepress work. And Sometimes it's just not worth them buying a printer and not making anything extra on it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I probably shouldn't talk since I often have 36+ jobs going at one time. His shop is a disaster, and I'm positive I saw this guy in his home office in a video when I was buying my IColor printer. He had every kind of shirt printing machine money could buy. I think he has more of a spending problem than anything.

Someone should send him that organizing video...

hatlesschimp

Buy what ever equipment that suits your needs. You are the only one that can answer that question.
I could just go with the UCJV300-160 and install it at home and see how it goes.
On the other hand i love the JFX200 and it's ability to do bigger prints. I may just get that and print onto things that the Laser Cutter has cut. Also canvas, glass can be printed on.
I'm fairly good on the social media with getting views on videos, posts and building websites so shpuld be able to attract some attention quick enough. I want to try and avoid walk-ins but can help with sales, I may get my wife to run the office if I move to a small factory.

rjssigns

I could just go with the UCJV300-160 and install it at home and see how it goes.
On the other hand i love the JFX200 and it's ability to do bigger prints. I may just get that and print onto things that the Laser Cutter has cut. Also canvas, glass can be printed on.
I'm fairly good on the social media with getting views on videos, posts and building websites so shpuld be able to attract some attention quick enough. I want to try and avoid walk-ins but can help with sales, I may get my wife to run the office if I move to a small factory.
I run a JFX 200 in the lab and while it prints beautifully it ain't no speed demon. Once I show students how to load media and get it running we walk away. 600x900 print mode.
Standing there watching it print is like waiting for paint to dry. But maybe that's just me. YMMV
Of course that could be an advantage as it would allow you time to set up your laser and CNC while you're waiting for the flatbed to finish.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Standing there watching it print is like waiting for paint to dry.

A watched pot never boils! The JFX200 is considered entry level as far as speed goes. It's a good compliment to a sign shop but it won't have you competing with wholesale yard sign manufacturers that's for sure.

rjssigns

A watched pot never boils! The JFX200 is considered entry level as far as speed goes. It's a good compliment to a sign shop but it won't have you competing with wholesale yard sign manufacturers that's for sure.
LOL yup, but absolutely no complaints with the gorgeous prints though. The powers that be still won't let me print direct our doors, or on t-shirts, shoes or...well you get the picture. dangit
So much untapped potential.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I would think your current capability (based on the machines you own) would be significantly more profitable and easier to market than commercial digital printing.

If you have an existing print business with established clients (whom you have catered to as the print industry has evolved), you may be positioned to compete with the avalanche of new-comers and the rise of inexpensive wholesale printing to the trade. As a new entity entering the fray, I believe you will encounter significant challenges.

Since roll products can be easily shipped, flat good printing (printing to substrate) seems to be the least competitive market for local printers. A flatbed UV printer would combine nicely with your existing capabilities, in addition to opening up a local market for inexpensive direct-printed rigid signs and displays.

Bill DiStasio

On point, but dude bit off a big chunk. T-shirts, vinyl, flatbed work, banners, postcards etc...YIKES!!!! I'm overwhelmed just listening to him. Printing is only part of it. Getting things ready to print and print finishing takes a lot of time too. Then add in answering phones, emails, walk-ins and you have a crushing workload. Cant see where a 10 or ever 20 day lead time will do anything. He is the "Herbie"(see Goldratt's The Goal) of the operation.
Don't forget about training and that big learning curve. Then there are random reasons for machines not working and the time you spend figuring it out. Be very careful or you will lose your fortune. I did what you are thinking about doing. I've been in business for myself all my life but this business takes so much time to learn and I am two years in. Good Luck, you'll need it. I don't mean to burst your bubble, just being honest. You can't beat a guy at his own trade and the print trade benefits most from experience handed done. I tried anyway. I love it, but had I known, I am not sure I'd have done it at my age.The technology that supports the industry changes really fast.

ham1056

Interesting thread, where 90% of the responses are on the equipment. Who is selling your product line? It is very challenging times & you can have all the equipment in the world, the best staff, installers & knowledge but what supports it all? Sales! Sell sell sell, make the calls, send direct mail or admail, PPC & SOE...make appointments in this Covid world if you can. As much as you are watching videos & training on WF equipment, do the same plus more on sales & selling & marketing & advertising. If your focus is on running the equipment & technology then hire a CSR or if you have the personality then do the Sales/Marketing & hire an WF Operator. Just my 2 cents. Best of Luck.