• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New printer = new materials

I just brought home a new to me L25500, and while I am waiting on an electrician to install some outlets I figured I would start ordering materials to print on. I have searched and read a lot of threads on the subject, and this is what I have put together so far:

-Cheap vinyl for setting up the printer: I was looking at the Instant One stuff, but I would have to cut the rolls down to fit in the printer. I just want something fairly cheap to run through it while I am playing with it and learning the ins and outs.

-Reflective: 3M 680CR with 8518 laminate. The print shop that used to do all of my bigger prints used this combo, and I have been really happy with it so I don't see any reason to change that. It is pricey, but you get what you pay for. Another added bonus is many new fire trucks require 3M in their specifications, so I won't have to worry about that if I stick to 3M.

-Vehicle graphics: IJ180 with 8518 laminate. Not sure if I need the regular IJ180 or the CV3? My thoughts here are to try to stick with 3M since I will have the 3M 8518 laminate already. Once again this stuff is pricey, but if I go with a different brand I will technically have to buy the matching laminate which would be more money and more of a pain to switch the laminator back and forth. But I am open to suggestions here.

-General day to day decals: I'm not really sure about this one. I use Oracal 751 and 951 as well as Gerber 220 with my Edge, and have been happy with all 3, but I don't think they are compatible with Latex.

-T-shirt transfers: I have read countless threads and there seems to be many suggestions. I am thinking my best bet would be to order samples and try them out? I will only be doing the occasional odd short run and shirts for myself.

-Other oddball materials: I am wanting to try the RTape VinylEFX in this printer. I print on it with my Edge, and they claim it is compatible with Latex so we will see. I will also be printing on the Real Gold brand 22 kt. vinyl as long as it works.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is a big step going from only having a Gerber Edge to a wide format latex printer and I am just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I even start trying to print things.

CreatedDesigns

I run 3M IJ180C-V3 and either 8518 or 8519 (90% of the time) I also like to Use 3M 40C with the Matte lam. color print for heat transfer is ok but rTape tattoo or whatever it is called works also no issues with either. As far as reflective I have printed in 680 and also 5100 to tell the truth I don't see much difference but the 680 is nicer for install but if its flat 5100 does the job just fine.

for Oracal I have printed on 631,751,3751 all print good no issues

for fabric I use Big Systems heavy polyester , Paper I get from Bigfish
banner is mostly Ultraflex brand stuff like the smooth PVC blockout and cheap stuff.

I have ran a bunch of Alumigraphics products with good results also (be very careful with this in your printer).

so far the best color output I have gotten was using Avery 1005 but the trial roll was so badly contaminated and all the bad stuff that went on I have never bought any since.

I just printed a roll of 3M 6900 and it printed great also. Just in case you were wondering (talk about pricey sh!t)

Dennis422

For cast I use Avery 1005 EZ Rs.
Cheap stuff, Oracal 3651 and Briteline 3203.

Run your heat low as much as you can to get a good cure.

Dennis422

As far as t-shirt transfers, I use Siser ColorPrint PU with HP Photorealistic paper setting. Great color with that setting and material

Has anyone tried 3M 7125 in a latex printer? I am wanting a good cast vinyl for vehicle graphics and other general decals, but I don't think I need the IJ180.

Andy D

It's a latex printer? You will want to buy a case or two of tissues...
Just Joking! Congratulations on your new printer & I'm sure you will be make ton of money with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried 3M 7125 in a latex printer? I am wanting a good cast vinyl for vehicle graphics and other general decals, but I don't think I need the IJ180.

What tends to happen to most people is, they want to service every sign order that comes through the door. Therefore, they need so many types of vinyls, laminates and other stuff, it ain't even funny. So, they end up making a one-fits-all vinyl and they usually go cheap. That's why, when we ask, what is your target audience or what do you want to crank out the most..... you only hafta stock a few medias. When someone becomes a true wholesaler, they most likely have so many printers, it would make your head spin. They have all the various medias all lined up ready to go and just push the button once the file has been ripped on the appropriate turnkey system.

I'd suggest, calling your outside rep and ask for sample rolls of all the medias, from banner to cast, calendared, backlit, scrim, trade show, non curl and so on. Use the proper profiles and label them all. To start, I'd just get a cast air-egress media, and a calendared air egress. Anything else will basically be a waste of money having it sit on your shelf until you need it. Ya need matching laminates and you're done.

What tends to happen to most people is, they want to service every sign order that comes through the door. Therefore, they need so many types of vinyls, laminates and other stuff, it ain't even funny. So, they end up making a one-fits-all vinyl and they usually go cheap. That's why, when we ask, what is your target audience or what do you want to crank out the most..... you only hafta stock a few medias. When someone becomes a true wholesaler, they most likely have so many printers, it would make your head spin. They have all the various medias all lined up ready to go and just push the button once the file has been ripped on the appropriate turnkey system.

I'd suggest, calling your outside rep and ask for sample rolls of all the medias, from banner to cast, calendared, backlit, scrim, trade show, non curl and so on. Use the proper profiles and label them all. To start, I'd just get a cast air-egress media, and a calendared air egress. Anything else will basically be a waste of money having it sit on your shelf until you need it. Ya need matching laminates and you're done.

You are right, it is easy to get carried away trying to keep enough stock on hand to make everyone happy. But for now I am going to keep it simple like you suggested. I have some IJ680CR and 8518 laminate on the way, which will cover most of my reflective needs. But I do not think I need the air egress feature and the cost that comes along with it in the regular cast vinyl. Eventually I will get some of the IJ180CR to keep on hand, but for now I just need a good cast vinyl for all of the smaller decals and other odd jobs I do. The 7125 seemed like it would be perfect, but 3M doesn't list it as being printable which is why I was asking.

DirtyD

You do not need a CAST material for decals and everyday general signage it would be a waste of money - like Gino said get a cast air egress (3MIJ180) wraps and contoured stuff and a calandared material air egress (3MIJ35C) for general signage ... for decals I use cheap stuff Oracal 3641 or house brand stuff you dont need air egress for contour cut decals.

You do not need a CAST material for decals and everyday general signage it would be a waste of money - like Gino said get a cast air egress (3MIJ180) wraps and contoured stuff and a calandared material air egress (3MIJ35C) for general signage ... for decals I use cheap stuff Oracal 3641 or house brand stuff you dont need air egress for contour cut decals.

I came here because I also wanted to run 7125 on Latex. We have a HP360 and the 7125 ran great. Laminated it with 8518.

The reason that I want to run 7125 for decals, is that I have customers that want the longest life possible. All of the calendared vinyls, that I am aware of, are typically 1-5 year lifespans. If you want to get into the 7-10 year lifespan arena, you have to go to a cast vinyl and laminate. We also run calendared vinyls, but only in cases where lifespan is not as important.

303DC

For what it's worth, I run Oracal 651 through my 310 with no issues. I like using that when making stickers that require printing and lots of weeding since that stuff weeds sooooo smoothly. No issues at all with printing it, though I can't say I've tried laminating it yet.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
For what it's worth, I run Oracal 651 through my 310 with no issues. I like using that when making stickers that require printing and lots of weeding since that stuff weeds sooooo smoothly. No issues at all with printing it, though I can't say I've tried laminating it yet.

I've even printed for backlit signage on 651....it's transparent enough that it works well. Run it 12 pass with high ink, and it makes pretty solid colors.