• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New printer replacement

heyskull

We have a Valuejet 1604 and purchased this new in 2008.
This machine has been unbelievably reliable and very easy to live with, and with a bulk ink system very cheap to print.
We have maintained the machine well and about 14 months ago it had a new head fitted.
This machine runs and prints as good as the day it was installed.
My issue is I feel the time for a new machine is coming soon before we start to get serious issues with this machine.
We do not need the machine to be any faster or bigger as it seems to be perfect for the applications we use it for.

What would everyone advise on buying a new one and which make and model would you advise?
The main issue I have is with the extortionate prices for OEM ink to run these machines and would really like a machine with a bulk system or one I can fit after the warranty has finished.

SC

rjssigns

This may or may not help. When we were printing large orders for another shop on our SP540V I seriously considered getting another one.

Why? Main reason is redundancy. There are several others: If one printer goes down we can cannibalize one to run the other. No messing with new profiles. Built like a tank. Used rigs are inexpensive.

Sounds like you're super happy with your ValueJet. I'd say get another one or two. Maybe one good runner and one parts rig? Should keep you running for years.

heyskull

Yes I have considered another one.
Just it is a little hard finding a second hand 1604 and the later models had upright cartridges which makes it harder to convert to bulk ink (I think).

Also in my shop I am the person that has to mend it if it goes wrong!
And I am getting sick and tired of the man who can fix anything (believe me this is true)!

SC

rjssigns

In that case my recommendation has always been to get the printer from a place down the street with stellar service. Even if you have to pay more for the privilege.

Eco-Sol, latex, UV they all have good and bad points.

But there is nothing better than being able to have a rep there within an hour and have you running shortly thereafter.