• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printer ??

signcrafters

Well, my Soljet is getting old and need to think about replacing.
Any suggestions on a 54" printer?
Anyone have experience with latex?
Print/Cut or just print?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

StarSign

We have been running latex for a few years now and don't have any complaints. We run a HP 25500, 210 and I am looking at the 360.

rjssigns

Well, my Soljet is getting old and need to think about replacing.
Any suggestions on a 54" printer?
Anyone have experience with latex?
Print/Cut or just print?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Get a separate cutter. We run an SP540V right now and it prints beautifully, but it can't cut long lengths accurately anymore.

Also with a separate cutter you still have the ability to cut vinyl should your print/cut rig quit.(and it will right in the middle of a huge job with a deadline) Which is the next point. Buy local with and make sure they have expert techs. When your rig dies you want it running in hours not days.

If I was to buy a rig right now it would probably be the dual head Mutoh 1638x. Why? Speed is a big factor for me and we do quite a few banners. The Mutoh can print banners roughly 10x faster than my Roland.

Gamut is another thing to consider. The Mutoh can hit over 80% of the Pantone chart. It also has an on board spectro for profiling.

Figure where your real money is made and match the printer and other equipment to that.

ToTo

Professional Support
Printouts on a Latex 360 are not as sharp and detailed as on a solvent Roland or Mimaki.
For outdoorit is very good, but for small Stickers it doesn't

Dennis422

Printouts on a Latex 360 are not as sharp and detailed as on a solvent Roland or Mimaki.
For outdoorit is very good, but for small Stickers it doesn't

Might not be as crisp as solvent, but if you print at higher pass count, the detail in the prints is very good.

DRamm76

You need to sit and think about what really matters most when it comes to your business and the equipment you are using. Remember this device is the lifeblood of your business and its not something to be taken lightly.

The top things most buyers consider are
  • Speed
  • Quality
  • Price
  • Support

There are machines out there that can run 1000 square feet an hour, but here's something to consider if you want to save some money, an average roll of vinyl is 54" x 150' so thats about 450 sq ft give or take. If you have a Take Up Reel System you now have the ability to hit print and go home. So while that 1000 sq ft an hour machine may have it done in 30 min, if you need to save money and go with a machine that only prints 93 sq ft an hour, it will take about 5 hours to print. Hit the print button at 5pm and head home for the day. If you have no intention of coming back to that office, the job is done by 10pm. So when doing unattended overnight printing even on the SLOWEST machine, speed is irrelevant.

Quality is also important, you want a machine that can produce top quality without a lot of work. I grab hi res jpegs off the web and run them on standard most of the time without playing around too much with the settings in the RIP. Now it also means garbage in garbage out. Just because a machine can print "high quality" doesnt mean you can take poorly prepped files and send them over in high quality and expect magic.

Price is another issue. Have a budget prepared. Set a goal. If your goal is just go around and beat up every dealer in the area playing let's make a deal, you're setting yourself up for starting a negative relationship with the dealer who takes the deal. Respect the fact that they need to make money just like you need to work within a budget. Your question should never be "how much does it cost?" it should be more along the lines of asking how much it can make you and what is the best fit for your budget. It's a smarter approach and a dealer will be able to provide you with a proper assessment of what you need for the best deal available.

Finally support, make sure you take this just as serious as your other 3 topics. You can buy a machine with the best quality, best price and top speeds but if the unit is down for a service issue and is sitting there unable to produce, start adding up how much you pay yourself a day and get yourself a shovel and start digging. Ask for references, ask the manufacturer who they recommend. Most people focus so hard on getting the best price because they have "been burned" and then literally dont take the support serious enough and when the machine is down and out they tell themselves "it doesnt do what it needs, it breaks but hey i got a good deal on it so it is what it is!" That's the most unacceptable logic ive ever heard. I am STILL learning in this industry and I feel support and reliable service are everything in this business.

Hope this advice helps you in your search. Best of luck to you!