• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New printer

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Nothing takes 9 seconds to do, itd take you longer than that to put gloves on to change it. The vast majority of threads on color issues stem from latex users and profile issues, you know this as much as anyone else here. You say you never see the lamination issues yet you respond in threads about delamination issues with latex printers. Those are also the vast majority of delamination threads. Just be honest about this stuff already, people will still purchase them as they have their advantages. Personally, when I buy something I want to know the good and the bad, straight up no bones about it. I don't like wind up my skirt.

Besides car wraps, what are you laminating and why? The scratchability with latex ink makes it so you don't have to laminate nearly as much stuff as before.

AF

Besides car wraps, what are you laminating and why? The scratchability with latex ink makes it so you don't have to laminate nearly as much stuff as before.

Wraps, decals, outdoor signage etc still needs to be laminated. Scratch resistance isn’t the same as scratch proof. And UV is a real thing outdoors. That said, I have noticed more and more UV printed yard signs popping up with no lam and the same with some latex printed stuff. I have seen a few wraps with liquid lam fail and many with no lam at all completely wasted in short time.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Wraps, decals, outdoor signage etc still needs to be laminated. Scratch resistance isn’t the same as scratch proof. And UV is a real thing outdoors. That said, I have noticed more and more UV printed yard signs popping up with no lam and the same with some latex printed stuff. I have seen a few wraps with liquid lam fail and many with no lam at all completely wasted in short time.

I would always laminate car and boat wraps. Decals I wouldn't lam anymore, I think the scratch resistance is plenty fine for most decal applications. Outdoor signage is a wide range, banner is the widest used outdoor material but no one laminates that. What outdoor applications do you specifically laminate where the durability off latex isn't strong enough? I am sure they exist but I am just curious which ones you encounter where lamination is needed.

equippaint

Thats one of the advantages and I agree. Im usually not as worried about scratching as I am UV and chemicals being used to wash machines. The majority of our stuff ends up on equipment and vocational trucks.
On stickers latex ink may be advantageous but it doesnt seem to be as easy to use in short runs which would be small stickers. If I wasnt going to laminate, id want it to print and cut at the same time too. If I have to take it off to cut, id might as well laminate it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I would always laminate car and boat wraps. Decals I wouldn't lam anymore, I think the scratch resistance is plenty fine for most decal applications. Outdoor signage is a wide range, banner is the widest used outdoor material but no one laminates that. What outdoor applications do you specifically laminate where the durability off latex isn't strong enough? I am sure they exist but I am just curious which ones you encounter where lamination is needed.

This reminded me when I first started out and worked for another sign company in 2005 that just started up, we had a SP300. I was the first to use it and we had a banner to make that we needed to print. I printed on vinyl, laminated it and applied it to the banner! I had to reprint a few times because we never used a laminator before and the prints kept wrinkling in it... Probably the most expensive banners ever made! Lol

AF

I wouldn’t recommend NOT laminating a print to be used outdoors, near chemicals or where it could be scratched (interior floor decals for example). Laminating with vinyl produces a superior product and has advantages over liquid lam. Charge accordingly and refuse any jobs that should be laminated but the client wants to save money.

I think the game plan for some startups is to buy a printer, steal legitimate business by undercutting price via no lamination, make enough money to buy a laminator and film, then go out of business since the client base won’t pay the higher price for laminated products that they were told are not needed.

jfiscus

Rap Master
60600 all the way. Sure you have to wait a few hours to laminate, but if you can't you're scheduling your printing/jobs wrong.
And as far as cleaning/maintenance, yes, we have to empty the waste bottle every so often and rarely have to clean the heads/caps much (yes, we run it all day every day) and still haven't had to replace the roller/wiper mechanism (drop in replacement) yet. It prints just as fast as a latex also, 4-pass with dual heads FLIES.