• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new printer

evie

Went to the ISA show, Looked at the roland vs540, epson gs6000, and Mutoh 1304. Mutoh had a great demo printing, and I was impressed. They said that they will give me 4000.00 trade in on my falcon, and over all Im looking at 13000.00, Roland got me to 19000.00 and Epson 17000.00. Is the 1304 something that you can recommend? I saw some posts with vertical banding issues. Any input would be appreciated.

randya

evie,

We are coming out with new models, so they are making great deals on the remaining 1304's.

Jackpine

I was offered a 54" Valujet (new) from a dealer for $11000.00 with a set of ink and cleaning cartridges.
Randa what is the new one like? How different is it to the current models?

randya

Evie, I am biased so I will let others give their views on the two printers.

Jackpine, WOW! 11k,
The VJ-1324 has the latest Epson head with 5 droplet set instead of the 3 droplet set of the last generation of heads, and some high speed modes including 360x540 modes for high speed banner printing (I think 313 sqft/hr.) Probably some other stuff in there, but I have just not had any time to play with it yet.

thewvsignguy

Hey Evie, we had the same delima 6 months ago when trying to decide the best setup for our needs.

We went through signwarehouse.com to get our Mutoh 1204, Q54, Flexi 10 package. It was a great deal and came in at the top of our budget of $13k, we paid cash and got lots of extra thrown in. So far our mutoh has printed great and the Q54 is a good match after 6 months.

We were looking at 3 printers/cutters, the roland sp-300i, mamaki cjv-100 and the mutoh 1204 SW package. When the wife told me "to just pick one!" the mutoh just fit our needs better. The 300i was much slower printing and cutting and max print/cut width is 29". I did not want to limit ourselves to 29" and I know we would need something wider and got fed up with the "wholesalers". The mamiki seemed like a really great machine, ink, parts, support the downfall is the odd 40" width. Then there is the Mutoh 1204, it prints faster then the other two, it cuts faster then the other two, and I can print on one machine and cut something else on the other. Most media is in a 54" or a 30" and the 48" is an odd size too. I call SW to get our rolls cut done if needed at $10.00 a cut. I also think the wave printing feature on the mutoh is great. I have yet to print something and say anything bad about the quality.

I think the major difference ( correct me if I'm wrong) is that Mutoh has more plastic in their printers. Our is built really well but I'm sure whatever you choose you will no go wrong. Oh and make sure you have a good support plan, your going to need it until you get the hang of things. Good luck!

evie

Yeah, we did the same thing with sign warehouse, not the same outcome. We have the falcon outdoor, and we have had nothing but problems, we didn't get the good service from sign warehouse either. I am impressed with the newer machines, and the pricing is almost impossible to turn down. I was quoted 14995.00 on a Roland sp 540 though, and am teetering between the two now. I am also wondering why Sign Warehouse can sell the Mutoh 1304 for so much less than Mutoh is quoting me? I wouldn't buy from Sign Warehouse again, but Why are they pricing it under 10 grand? Is it the same machine?

randya

Yeah, we did the same thing with sign warehouse, not the same outcome. We have the falcon outdoor, and we have had nothing but problems, we didn't get the good service from sign warehouse either. I am impressed with the newer machines, and the pricing is almost impossible to turn down. I was quoted 14995.00 on a Roland sp 540 though, and am teetering between the two now. I am also wondering why Sign Warehouse can sell the Mutoh 1304 for so much less than Mutoh is quoting me? I wouldn't buy from Sign Warehouse again, but Why are they pricing it under 10 grand? Is it the same machine?

1304 or 1204?

They OEM the 1204 and buy in bulk.

MachServTech

i would never buy a mutoh.

Why dont you elaborate?

"I dont like mayonnaise."

That doesnt give you a frame of reference, like when I was 8 I puked all over a block party because of potato salad that was left in the sun all afternoon.

Did I mention I don't like potato salad either?

See how informative that was?

:munchie:

Graphics2u

Evie

Can't speak on a comparison of Roland to Mutoh because I don't have any experience with Roland. I do like my Mutoh 1614 very much. It's basically the same print quality as the 1304 just slightly faster in some print modes. I can't speak for everyone but my experience with Mutoh has been good on support issues. Make sure your dealer is a good one. But that goes with what ever brand you buy. People seem to like their Epson GS6000's also (Which is built by Mutoh by the way). But comparing it to a 1304 isn't a fair comparison though, the color gamut is obviously going to be different with the expanded ink set of the Epson.