• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printer

mkestly

We're currently in the market to purchase a new digital printer. Have been thinking about one of the Roland print/cut systems. Any suggestions or what is the best output? We do a lot of large format signs/banners as well as stickers. Looking for the best print quality and speed.

Blaney

Welcome from Illinois. Use the search function. Tons of info on large format printers is available.

VTSigns

Roland is good but look into the Hp latex machines. Output quality is fantastic and the machines are affordable. Ink cost is much less. Overall best machine for the money.

thewvsignguy

My .02 is to buy a separate printer and cutter and buy the largest printer/cutter combo as you can afford. A 54" system will be your best bet and the most cost effective because most media is sold as 30" or the most common 54". You also must have a company that stands behind what they sell, good tech support is priceless.

We have a Mutoh 1204 (48" print width) and a 54" cutter with Flexi 10. Great printer and cutter my only regret is not getting a 54" system because of the lack of 48" media.

Good luck

Jack Knight1979

When the HP Latex was 13k it was a better value than the Roland, but now that they're 26k again. Roland is a better option. I'm sorry, but output quality is the same as my roland it it is a model from 2005.

Also. Roland printers are made with industrial grade materials/parts that can be purchased outside of Roland if you know where they're sourced. Once you buy an HP you are a slave to the HP cash monster.

Heads, inks, hardware, etc.

Roland offers a free RIP that is very good and updates are free as well. No $1200.00 upgrades on RIP software.

Just my .02. Thanks for reading.

The hp latex machine can print on fabric which Roland can't do well at all. I'll give it that. HP can't print cut.

VTSigns

I have had both so I can compare Roland with Hp and I prefer the Hp over my old Roland. Ink cost is much lower $110 for 775ml vs $120 for 440. Banding will never be an issue with latex whereas solvent will always have that problem. The fact that outgassing isn't an issue is a major plus for a fast moving shop where time is money.

WestcoastSigns

I've heard great things but drawback is how hot it needs to get. Determine what media you are wanting to print and then check to see if that media can take the heat while printing.

Lots of media listed good/bad in these threads that you can search out.

splizaat

I heard the new hp latex printers need new heads every liter of ink...true? That alone would keep me far from them

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have had zero issues from my Epson GS6000 in a year and a half that I've had it. The Roland I used to use (SP540V) required much more cleaning & maintenance, parts, etc although the Roland was a few years old. The Epson is also twice as fast at printing & the quality is GREAT even at the "lower/faster" quality & 8 colors makes for much more accurate Pantones & color matches.

Whichever printer you buy you are going to need to purchase a decent laminator. The majority of all decals/signs that you will be printing will need to be laminated, so you are going to have to print, remove the material from the printer & laminate it, then insert the material into the plotter. So, having an print/cut machine is unnecessary for 95% of the jobs versus a separate printer & cutter.

cdiesel

5+ litres is more accurate. I've heard of some going 20+... Latex heads are about $100, and figured into the ink cost. Latex ink is ~$110 for 750ml. Most OEM Ecosol is ~$125 for 440ml.

MikePro

greetings from SE wisconsin!
Go to a signage/graphics convention and see everything available, first-hand. Otherwise, use the search function or try this link