• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New purchase Roland VS-540I

mobboss

I just purchased the Roland VS-540I, talked myself and the wife into it from a BN-20.

The question is which way should I ink it up? I have read a thousand topics on this but I am just a little gun shy to commit one way or another do to the no going back issue.

I print stickers and t-shirt transfers currently but purchased this to maybe give me leg up against people in town that have done some crappy work for my other business producing a lot of stickers with banding and such....

i thought at first metallic may be the way to go because I would be the one in town that does it.
Can someone just make a decision for me I guess. A lot of money for me at this point I bumped myself double what I planned and don't want to regret not going the way I should with the ink.

Thanks in advance!

InkjetAuction

CMKYLcLm

If you are doing small stuff like decals and heat transfers, then I would go with a CMYKLcLmCM setup. The results will be outstanding for graphics that will be viewed up close.

You may consider the CMYKLcLmWMt setup too... if you think that you might have a market for Metallic & White.

~E

mobboss

If you are doing small stuff like decals and heat transfers, then I would go with a CMYKLcLmCM setup. The results will be outstanding for graphics that will be viewed up close.

You may consider the CMYKLcLmWMt setup too... if you think that you might have a market for Metallic & White.

~E

Do you think in the next 4-5 years if you don't have a chance to offer metallics you will be behind the eight ball. Maybe I am thinking to far down the road.

VL

Bought the same printer

We just purchased the same printer and I was also questioning the inks setup too. If you go with the Metallic ink you really need to laminate because it will tarnish. I decided to go with the CMYKLmLcLbWt because we print a lot of gray scale stuff.

mobboss

We just purchased the same printer and I was also questioning the inks setup too. If you go with the Metallic ink you really need to laminate because it will tarnish. I decided to go with the CMYKLmLcLbWt because we print a lot of gray scale stuff.

Nice, I didn't really know that you could mix and match like that but I really like that combo. Thanks for the heads up.

kanini

Do you have like 3-5 jobs every month that uses metallic? In that case go for it, otherwise you'll be questioning the choice every time you need to buy another 220 ml metallic cartridge that goes down the waste ink bottle. We looked at the metallics twice when we bought a 540 and now again when we added a 640 but every time I made the calculations it doesn't add up with the metallic option. We did go for 2xCMYK instead and love the speed. It's or course depending a lot on your type of work but think twice about the metallic... Good luck either way, great machines! =)

Mike_Koval

just got back from SGIA and had the 540i in our booth...

i would definitely go with CMYK Lc Lm Lt. Black for sure. Print quality is amazing on it. Whether to go with white or metallic really depends. If i had to choose between one or the other, i fell white has the most beneficial usage.

mobboss

just got back from SGIA and had the 540i in our booth...

i would definitely go with CMYK Lc Lm Lt. Black for sure. Print quality is amazing on it. Whether to go with white or metallic really depends. If i had to choose between one or the other, i fell white has the most beneficial usage.
Really leaning that way, so in the 8th spot you are talking going either white or metallic in your last example?

Mike_Koval

yes if you choose neither it is simply a cleaning cartridge. Metallic and white ink are both niche products for sure, but i see more benefits of the white...clear decals, labels, static clings, etc.

mobboss

yes if you choose neither it is simply a cleaning cartridge. Metallic and white ink are both niche products for sure, but i see more benefits of the white...clear decals, labels, static clings, etc.
I agree, I think you may have the magic setup there. Thanks

Baz

Got my VS-540 a couple of weeks ago. I got it setup 2x CMYK. Love the speed and print quality! I finally got great reds and have printed some greys with awesome results as well.

Only thing i regret is not buying the take-up reel ... Will be looking at third party products as well as the OEM one.

mobboss

Got my VS-540 a couple of weeks ago. I got it setup 2x CMYK. Love the speed and print quality! I finally got great reds and have printed some greys with awesome results as well.

Only thing i regret is not buying the take-up reel ... Will be looking at third party products as well as the OEM one.
Yeah I thought about the take up reel option, but for me since I went wider I will be have less hang over on stickers since I can fit more in the width. At least thats what I am thinking. I am sure I will be buying that take up reel soon enough.

Triple S

Purchased a Vs 540i just a few days ago, installed 2 days ago only problem is there isn't any profiles I can find other then the generic options included in versa works, has anyone one figured out a work around? Roland says the machine is so new they simply haven't written the profiles yet, Flexi also says the same thing. ( Ink Conf. Wmt )

player

Purchased a Vs 540i just a few days ago, installed 2 days ago only problem is there isn't any profiles I can find other then the generic options included in versa works, has anyone one figured out a work around? Roland says the machine is so new they simply haven't written the profiles yet, Flexi also says the same thing. ( Ink Conf. Wmt )

X-Rite does them for around $300 each.

Nature of the beast when buying a brand new model of printer. It will likely take at least 6 months to see support for this machine from any media manufacturers if history is any guide.

Of course you can always make your own, but it takes resources for that (measurement device and ICC software for Versaworks).

Triple S

mobboss, when is your machine going in? what are you going to do about the profiles? how much does an icc profile making device cost?

mobboss

mobboss, when is your machine going in? what are you going to do about the profiles? how much does an icc profile making device cost?
Received the machine yesterday. Went through the training which was brief but hey I like Trial by fire.

As far as profiles go I was told they are working on them. I'm not to concerned, I got a free bump up to "I" model from what I paid for. So I'm sure they will catch up faster than I will catch on.

I did actually print some stickers today, took them to my client and they loved the 25 samples I provided and ordered 500 more. So I got my first sale!

NateF

Mobboss - What ink setup did you end up going with? I'm also looking at a VS-540i and trying to make the same decision. As I understand it, the CMYKx2 option is much faster than the light ink option. I can see the benefit of the light inks which give a wider color gamut, and I suppose the white could be helpful when printing window clings and maybe t-shirt transfers. But at the end of the day, I have a feeling that the high speed would be a greater benefit for us.

yukon

We got our new VS540i today and are using CMYKLmLcLk in order to get better greys. Already printing a 24' box truck full wrap and it looks great! We also had trouble finding the profiles. Our tech called Roland direct and they said they are not uploaded to the site yet but he did send me a link our tech could download the files they do have ready. They included a lot of profiles, but not prem wrap film so I'm using their glossy cast profile.

An issue we're having with the Roland take up reel. It's oriented and mounted all the way to the right side which requires our media to be loaded within a half inch from the end of the platen. It's difficult to line it up perfectly and was wondering if anyone else has a solution or a way to adjust the take up reel?

Thanks,

Yukon

fastsigns366

VS 540i Print Speeds

We are almost ready to pull the trigger and get the VS 540i. We have a 7yr old SC 545 EX that has done it's job well, but we are in dire need of an Upgrade. I was looking at the print speeds of Metallic vs. Light inks vs. double CMYK and it's kinda disturbing. I really wanted Metallic inks being that we do a lot of decals and fine art displays but 9 to 30 sq. ft. an hour seems very low. When you file is not using Metallic inks does it still run that slow?