• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New purchase Roland VS-540I

woolly

We have a vs540 and a old sc540 proll the vs is wt Mt and using those colours is painful to watch you just have to walk away.
If you want a vs to be near the speed as a sc then it has to be 2x cmyk.
After 2 years with the vs I do love the way the head lays the ink but if I want to do a 8x4 ft then its straight to the sc.
As far as fine art type work is concerned in my opinion its the versaworks profiles that let it down not the printer. A particular profile I use with colourrip gives a wonderful range of colours I can't match with vw.
Standard sign sticker work cmyk is fine but think I might like cmyk lc lm lk for more arty stuff if you can find or do your own profile.
If you have a use for wt mt as I do then go for it only hope the max2 inks live up to ther hype std. Max inks don't wt is weak silver can do good tricks.
Learning how to set the art work is a ordeal in its self

VS-540i

For tax reasons,at the end of last year I purchased a new VS-540i to replace a still good printing SP-540V (which I have for sale if anyone is interested). So far I have been very impressed with the speed and the quality of colors, especially blacks and grays. No more green or purple casts when printing a black and white image.
I have it inked up CMYKlclmlk. I thought about inking with white or metallic, but once you do there is no simple way of going back. Slow print speeds and maintenance were other issues that made my choice to go with the other ink set up.
I did not purchase the take up reel option so I can't comment on how it works.

Steve

JP4

Yea Steve...I read that same about the Lt Blk being the ticket. How do you like the front loading ink cartridges?

JP

JP,

I like the front loading feature especially because the Roland inks are only available in 440 ml. On the SP-540, the 440ml cartridges stuck out too far and I was always bumping them. With them in the front they are not in the way.

Steve

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
Need help on purchase decision Steve

For tax reasons,at the end of last year I purchased a new VS-540i to replace a still good printing SP-540V (which I have for sale if anyone is interested). So far I have been very impressed with the speed and the quality of colors, especially blacks and grays. No more green or purple casts when printing a black and white image.
I have it inked up CMYKlclmlk. I thought about inking with white or metallic, but once you do there is no simple way of going back. Slow print speeds and maintenance were other issues that made my choice to go with the other ink set up.
I did not purchase the take up reel option so I can't comment on how it works.

Steve

Hi Steve, I see you had a SP540. I have a sc545ex pro II and looking to pick up another printer ASAP for a large client we picked up. My pro is running well with it's little replacement quirks here and there but I need another for backup just in case plus the added work flow.
I am looking into the same printer you purchased. But now I had a dealer give me the idea of a totally refurb xc540 2007 with only about 400 hours on it with a Full 2 year warranty for 16g's. I am worried about matching the clients colors for them and that's the only reason I am considering. We print about 2 to 3 full rolls of material a week for them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony

Hi Steve, I see you had a SP540. I have a sc545ex pro II and looking to pick up another printer ASAP for a large client we picked up. My pro is running well with it's little replacement quirks here and there but I need another for backup just in case plus the added work flow.
I am looking into the same printer you purchased. But now I had a dealer give me the idea of a totally refurb xc540 2007 with only about 400 hours on it with a Full 2 year warranty for 16g's. I am worried about matching the clients colors for them and that's the only reason I am considering. We print about 2 to 3 full rolls of material a week for them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony,

Why did the dealer try to steer you away from the VS-540i? I wouldn't think you would have any more or less color matching issues with either printer. For about $3000 more you could have a new printer, also with a full 2 year warranty. I am not familiar with the xc540 to know how it compares work wise with your current printer but if they operate the same way and you are just needing a backup then save the dollars and go with the refurbished.

Steve

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve.

Well I didn't pull the trigger yet.
I am awaiting the finanacing which should be done tomorrow or Monday from my bank.
I am starting to think the same way with the new.
I print allot of grey so i like what i hear about the white and light black setup.
Thanks for the help.
Good Luck and wish you a very busy year!

dw76

CMYK vs 7-8 color printing

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right area for my question but you all seem to have a lot of experience and I'm looking for feedback. Currently using a Seiko 64s that allows CMYK + LC & LM. In need of an upgrade and I was looking at the VS-540i but came across a great deal on a VP-540i. Biggest difference is that the VP model is limited to 4 colors. I don't call out the LC or LM in any of my print jobs now (mostly vehicle graphics). Am I going to notice a huge difference in color if I limit myself to the 4 colors? I appreciate your input. Thank you!

Mike_Koval

CMYK Lc Lm Lk is the way to go for sure with the new "i" models. Print quality really is amazing with it.

I wouldn't add white or metallic unless you absolutely know you will use it. It is a nice option and does a great job when printed, it just is very niche.

JP4

I have been searching for more feedback on this new model...I have read about the Light Black drying up or having some issues. Anyone else heard or experienced this?