Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Ricoh Latex

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by rjssigns, Jul 12, 2012.

1. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Tags:
  2. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I love my Ricoh dyesub machine... hopefully they can bring that same quality to the wide formant market and I'd dump this HP in an effort to increase speed and quality + White ink!

3. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    +1. One of our printers is the Ricoh and it works great. Always dependable. Hopefully they carry that on over.

4. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Rebranded Mimaki

5. JERHEMI

JERHEMI Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Yup, that what it looks like! The question is though...will it cost more, less or the same as Mimaki?

6. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Ricoh latex

That is a curious comment; and you know this because?

7. JERHEMI

JERHEMI Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Take "Ricoh" off the front and put "Mimaki" in place of it and add some purple accents then their you go.

8. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Pretty obvious if you look at images of the two units. Also, the Mimaki is using Ricoh printheads, so the synergy is pretty clear...

9. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Heh, yeah thats is pretty obvious.

10. h82loose

h82loose Member

Jul 17, 2007
    The Mimaki uses Ricoh Heads. You do the math.

11. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    So with Mimaki using Ricoh heads does that mean Ricoh will bite the hand that feeds it?
    The price point on the Ricoh will be the determinant. Should be interesting.

12. toodark

toodark Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Minot, ND
    Sure hope it does not cost more than the Mimaki. Mimaki already wants your first born for their latex printer.

13. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    The manufacturing world continues to shrink. Where have all the innovators gone?

14. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Epson and Mutoh did the same thing didn't they?

The only problem is, ask anyone who has a Xerox(Mutoh), is that Mimaki dealers may not be allowed to support you if it says Ricoh on it. Ricoh doesn't have a track record in this market so who is to say how long they might be in it. Unless there would be a REALLY compelling price difference, I wouldn't consider the Ricoh unit and would just stick with Mimaki.

But I still like my L25500 and its reasonably priced, user-replaceable heads.

15. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office

There continues to be innovation. Seems to be in the rush to replace offset printing. A local company builds an inkjet for HP. Static ranks of heads, 1000 feet per minute, 600x600 on a 48" web, and fully variable. Piezo heads so it will run eco or full solvent.
    Boggles the mind if they were to release something like that into the market and maintain those speeds on banner, vinyl etc... Merritt could run his million square foot jobs in a couple days. Actually 16.7 hours if my math is good.

16. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Same thing with Brother versus Babylock. Brother makes Babylock machines and haven't had a Brother dealer service a Babylock machine even though they are essentially the same thing except the name.