• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Roland VG2 - VG3 - SG2 - SG3 USERS -buyer beware, you cannot fix your own machine.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
They try to play it off as if it's protecting the customer from themselves and pretend like there is some proprietary information in service mode they need to protect. At the end of the day it's all about padding their bottom line and they don't care at what cost to the customer. The only thing this does is force you to pay a certified tech to fix your machine which means you can't use 3rd party parts. That way the tech can charge you $150 for a $10 damper or $3500 for a $1900 printhead. They don't care that getting a tech in some areas is impossible or even if it is possible, they are scheduled out over a month. It's about what it's always about, money.

Mimaki us the most consumer friendly when it comes to tech mode these days and the firmware upgrade software id fairly easy to find. Mutoh is a close second but their new machines require a tech login to install main boards but you can still get into tech mode on the printer itself.

CarNate69

They try to play it off as if it's protecting the customer from themselves and pretend like there is some proprietary information in service mode they need to protect. At the end of the day it's all about padding their bottom line and they don't care at what cost to the customer. The only thing this does is force you to pay a certified tech to fix your machine which means you can't use 3rd party parts. That way the tech can charge you $150 for a $10 damper or $3500 for a $1900 printhead. They don't care that getting a tech in some areas is impossible or even if it is possible, they are scheduled out over a month. It's about what it's always about, money.

Mimaki us the most consumer friendly when it comes to tech mode these days and the firmware upgrade software id fairly easy to find. Mutoh is a close second but their new machines require a tech login to install main boards but you can still get into tech mode on the printer itself.

You're exactly right. We cancelled our order and don't plan to ever buy another Roland. The sales people have zero clue what a service mode lockout means but try to repeat what roland tells them to say. At the end of the day, they are pushing versacamm level printers on us as production printers (these new VG machines are NO pro4's), so lower quality machines at a "discounted price". This "deal" is organized around Roland knowing you'll secretly be locked into their service or their service contract in 3 years, so the initial deal means absolutely nothing if you plan on keeping the machine longer than 3 years. What if the printer is a lemon? Good luck, you're "cheap" printer just became the price of a higher quality mimaki anyways. Good luck Roland, we are OUT after 20 years of supporting your brand, "all in the name of print quality."

JWitkowski

And that's your right - be sure to pay service contracts on your car too, brake pads cost $60 and take about 30 minutes for me to change, but it sounds like you enjoy paying $500 to have them changed by a mechanic, all you need to do is make a little more money to pay for that service, right? Where does that make more money to pay for more and more services end? Mechanics see dollar signs when you walk in. I can make food at home for $5, but someone can make the same food for me at a restaurant for $25 - it's just as easy to go buy it at a restaurant, right? All I need to do is make more money to pay for it, right? What if society took away your right to eat at home? Same concept in an extreme way.
All those sign shops see are big dollars when I walk in. I can make my own signs at home so why pay them? Lol But I get your point. The auto industry fights hard to protect its right to repair. But I don't think anybody fixes there own electronic diagnostic equipment...

JWitkowski

And that's your right - be sure to pay service contracts on your car too, brake pads cost $60 and take about 30 minutes for me to change, but it sounds like you enjoy paying $500 to have them changed by a mechanic, all you need to do is make a little more money to pay for that service, right? Where does that make more money to pay for more and more services end? Mechanics see dollar signs when you walk in. I can make food at home for $5, but someone can make the same food for me at a restaurant for $25 - it's just as easy to go buy it at a restaurant, right? All I need to do is make more money to pay for it, right? What if society took away your right to eat at home? Same concept in an extreme way.
All those sign shops see are big dollars when I walk in. I can make my own signs at home so why pay them? Lol But I get your point. The auto industry fights hard to protect its right to repair. But I don't think anybody fixes there own electronic diagnostic equipment.

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
The last time you mentioned to me is just enter service mode normally, what workaround for a reasonable price? Dm me the way bcos I like to fix my own printer
LOL
Go back to the post and read it once again. I said that I have the software that DOESNT REQUIRE FSE ACCOUNT CREDENTIALS TO ENTER SERVICE MODE.

garyroy

CarNate, are you will to gather 1000 Roland users and start a class action suit over the "Right to Repair"?

Shred_signs

Lost Member
I can make food at home for $5, but someone can make the same food for me at a restaurant for $25
i know you dont live in the states with that math....
You can barely buy a soda now-days for under $3.

High-end sports cars have mandatory service contracts, but corollas don't.
Roland printers have always been "entry level" in my mind, but I guess they are trying to change that.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Last edited:

CarNate69

i know you dont live in the states with that math....
You can barely buy a soda now-days for under $3.

High-end sports cars have mandatory service contracts, but corollas don't.
Roland printers have always been "entry level" in my mind, but I guess they are trying to change that.

Thanks for the heads up though.

I know you don't have a high-end sports car or know anything about cars if you think high-end sports cars come with a mandatory service contract.

I can make 1lb of spaghetti in the USA for $5. I know you live in the USA when you consider a soda a mandatory part of dinner.

Great Value Thin Spaghetti, 1 lb - $0.98​

Great Value Tomato Basil Garlic Pasta Sauce, 24 oz - $1.48​

Shred_signs

Lost Member
I know you don't have a high-end sports car or know anything about cars if you think high-end sports cars come with a mandatory service contract.

I can make 1lb of spaghetti in the USA for $5. I know you live in the USA when you consider a soda a mandatory part of dinner.

Great Value Thin Spaghetti, 1 lb - $0.98​

Great Value Tomato Basil Garlic Pasta Sauce, 24 oz - $1.48​

I guess the point I am trying to make is you don't change the oil in your lambo in your drive way.
I have been on board with service contracts because managing 13 machines from 7 manufactures, I wouldn't have time to get elbows deep into a machine. Let the tech screw it up.

It was a troll, more towards Roland trying to spit shine their image in my eyes.
I have run dozens of machines, most of the Rolands, I have used have been as bare bones as they get.
But damn go off, and enjoy your sketti.