• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Shop Finally Ready To Show

bigben

Can I ask you how much did it cost to built. I want to built a garage with those exact specifications someday.

Speedsterbeast

Can I ask you how much did it cost to built. I want to built a garage with those exact specifications someday.

Sure you can. Cost to build landed about $65,000

Did a lot of the work myself too, but some of the things that added up quickly were:
-20 loads of gravel to raise the grade up to what I wanted
-In floor heating system including 2" styrofoam under the slab
-2X6 construction with R-40 blown in the ceiling
-Trenches from the house (120' away) for gas line and water line - I have a toilet drain and water line in case i want to frame a bathroom in the corner later on
-Garaga overhead door with R-17 insulation
-Camera and motion sensor security system
-And the floor was $3000- 2 for the stain and epoxy and 1 for the laminate.

And as requested here is a pic of the outside

Attachments

• Shop 5.jpg
    Shop 5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 69

phototec

Sure you can. Cost to build landed about $65,000

Did a lot of the work myself too, but some of the things that added up quickly were:
-20 loads of gravel to raise the grade up to what I wanted
-In floor heating system including 2" styrofoam under the slab
-2X6 construction with R-40 blown in the ceiling
-Trenches from the house (120' away) for gas line and water line - I have a toilet drain and water line in case i want to frame a bathroom in the corner later on
-Garaga overhead door with R-17 insulation
-Camera and motion sensor security system
-And the floor was $3000- 2 for the stain and epoxy and 1 for the laminate.

And as requested here is a pic of the outside

Nice job on your building, I built my 3200 s/f home here in Texas back in 1993, I did it part time (evenings and weekends) so it took me 2-1/2 years, I did all the framing (even the cut on-site hip roof that was a big challenge for me), plumbing, electrical, drywall, trim work etc., but the large concrete slab I had to have done by the pros.

I have a question about the In floor heating system, is this the ONLY heating source for the building?

I would imagine it takes a while to heat the slab first before the heat can start to radiate upwards into the work space, so is this something that you leave on all the time in the winter?

Is the In floor heating system electric or heated water in pipes (give details please)?

And again, you did a great job, you can be proud of your accomplishment, anyone can write a check. :clapping:

Speedsterbeast

Nice job on your building, I built my 3200 s/f home here in Texas back in 1993, I did it part time (evenings and weekends) so it took me 2-1/2 years, I did all the framing (even the cut on-site hip roof that was a big challenge for me), plumbing, electrical, drywall, trim work etc., but the large concrete slab I had to have done by the pros.

I have a question about the In floor heating system, is this the ONLY heating source for the building?

YES. It's the only source & it works quite well

I would imagine it takes a while to heat the slab first before the heat can start to radiate upwards into the work space, so is this something that you leave on all the time in the winter?

It actually only takes a couple hours to bump it up a few degrees, but I work here full-time, so there's no need to turn it down.

Is the In floor heating system electric or heated water in pipes (give details please)?

It's Natural Gas boiler with an electric pump to circulate the glycol
It has 6 seamless loops under the slab with 2" styrofoam under it and around the sides of the foundation.
I keep it at about 17 Celcius (about 65 F.) any warmer and you feel too hot- I guess due to the warmth radiating from your feet and everything you touch.
And the best part other than warm concrete floors is no dust from a furnace fan!

And again, you did a great job, you can be proud of your accomplishment, anyone can write a check. :clapping:

Thanks! & although I did a great deal myself, sadly, I still had to write a lot of checks

WB

Very Nice!, very jealous.

I looked into putting up a shop here a few months ago I was rather depressed at the cost of putting in my semi-dream garage. The price for 100 load if fill and a full foundation for a 36'x40' was almost 1/2 the cost of the building.

Someday.

what the in floor run off of Hot water?

Speedsterbeast

Very Nice!, very jealous.

I looked into putting up a shop here a few months ago I was rather depressed at the cost of putting in my semi-dream garage. The price for 100 load if fill and a full foundation for a 36'x40' was almost 1/2 the cost of the building.

Someday.

what the in floor run off of Hot water?

The system has Glycol at about a 60-40 mixture so if I lose heat it's safe to -50

And yes, no sign Pat. Flying under the radar for city taxes is working fine for me for now.
Insurance costs are enough of a bill.
You'll notice still no 54" printer yet...

phototec

The system has Glycol at about a 60-40 mixture so if I lose heat it's safe to -50

And yes, no sign Pat. Flying under the radar for city taxes is working fine for me for now.
Insurance costs are enough of a bill.
You'll notice still no 54" printer yet...

Cory, ok I'm with you on no sign (flying under the radar), how far away from town are you?

How do you get business and or customers to come out to your shop?

How do you advertise?

Thanks

Speedsterbeast

Cory, ok I'm with you on no sign (flying under the radar), how far away from town are you?

How do you get business and or customers to come out to your shop?

How do you advertise?

Thanks

I'm actually within city limits but almost at the edge. Only 3km from full urban city blocks, but I have over 4 acres here.
My business is all referral, and my clients come by appointment only.
I was fortunate enough to work outside sales in industrial and construction supplies for 12 years here. That gave me a ton of contacts to start.
Basically I was told by a handful of large businesses here that when I start into the sign and graphics business that I had their full support.
I was very lucky to have had these relationships, but I can take a little credit for always looking after them and going above and beyond for service when needed.
The only advertising is an outdated website (at least as far as my portfolio pics go) and my facebook page. The rest is word of mouth