Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Shop (flooring)

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by rydods, Jul 23, 2020.

1. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We have a new shop currently under construction, 1,824 sq. ft total. 988 garage space and 836 production/office area. There is a large opening between the 2 spaces so it's mostly open concept. I plan to concrete polish and seal the garage floor for ease of cleaning and nice look. What recommendations would you give for the production/office floor? #1 is comfort, 2 is easy to clean, 3 would be looks. It would also be nice to have a smooth transition into the garage area. We provide smaller signage, vehicle wraps and other digital printing services. Mostly commercial so we don't see walk-ins often.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. peerlessdani

peerlessdani Member

Jun 4, 2020
    missouri
    We use Husqvarna GM 3000 , Husqvarna Hiperguard and then Husqvarna Hiperhard on our concrete floors. The before and after is amazing! Our concrete is very old and our building used to be Crane that manufactured toilets so the concrete was in very bad shape but now, after doing all the treatments our floors are nice and shiney! We also polish them with a machine and that brings the shine up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. John Miller

John Miller Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Branford, Connecticut
    If you decide on carpet in the computer area be sure it is rated for anti-static, your computers will thank you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Carpet? Holy crap! Don't even consider it! Polished or painted concrete all the way. Bring in a leaf blower once in a while and blow out the cobwebs and dust bunnies. Don't do it while printing or lamination though.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  5. HaleYeah

HaleYeah Member

Apr 17, 2020
    Iowa
    That's a good idea for sure. This has never have come across as an issue with our office spaces yet though.

6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Stain then seal the concrete. You can get some good looking finishes by staining. Industrial epoxy with colored flakes looks good too. Or you could install wood grain vinyl plank flooring. The more expensive ones look incredible and it's fairly thing. Would be a lot warmer look.

7. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Both good ideas. Our Epoxy has held up well and easy to clean. Have you thought about those interlocking tiles used on garage floors?

9. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    I used epoxy with flake it works great! But watch out for hot tires, they can sometime lift the epoxy off the floor after they sit for a while.

10. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Sealed or Epoxied Concrete is the way to go, even in the offices. It's the most durable, and it a modern look. Carpet just wears out and looks terrible. If you absolutely want something over the concrete, consider LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) It's no too expensive and fair easy to install. Home depot has stuff with a 25 year commercial rating I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all of the input! My production crew is working on concrete now with comfort pads at all of the tables and other stations but it's not enough. They'll revolt if I don't give them a full comfortable floor in their area. Lol.

12. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    avoid carpet!!! Second building, I installed Lifeproof 360 flooring from HD...mold milder resistant, easy clean and looks fresh. It has a padding on bottom and hammers in place.

13. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    We have a gray indoor/outdoor carpet from home depot and a good commercial vacuum. It looks like commercial carpet and was under $1/sqft. Glue down, no pad. It has held up well, no static issues, easy to clean and not hard on your feet/back standing up on it. Shop bays are just concrete.

14. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Millenials no doubt.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  15. LearningTheProfession

LearningTheProfession New Member

May 26, 2020
    Fort Myers
    I have killed motherboards, and wiped HHD's like this. Sad day

16. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Depending on what you're producing in your production area, the sealed concrete is the easiest to keep clean
    and scrape up scrap pieces of vinyl stuck to the floor. I can't stand seeing scrap vinyl and other adhesives stuck
    to the floor, I bought a floor scraper with a long handle at Harbor Freight and scrape it a couple times a month.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    When we moved into our current place it had concrete covered in nasty old linoleum.
    It would have cost lots to get that mess up and finish the concrete nicely so we went with interlocking pvc tiles.
    They were affordable, easy to lay and quite durable. They make the place easy to keep clean and look good.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2