• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New Shop, New Equipment thoughts

player

Unless you have a real special talent, or insight, or big client ready to go, or lots of cash, find something else to do or get some equipment and keep working. The sign business is tough, and hard to make just a working stiff's wage after expenses.

Fine Designs

So i have owned my own business now for ten years. I would do alot of things over again If I could however my 2 cents on the topic at hand is I would go with mutoh hands down. You can get a mutoh 1324x 54" model brand new for around 10k. That will come with flexi 12 (no monthly fee) warranty for 2 years, Setup, and a lot of material thrown in the package. Contact fellers. As for a laminator I would go with seal or royal but you can always go with the Us tech machines for around 3k they are not top of the line but they are not bad at all. Plotter I would stick with graphtec. You can get a good graphtec for around 2500 to 3000 new if you go used on any of these items you can get up and running for a lot less and then upgrade to new when you are able to. Let me know if you need a hand

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've ran almost every make of machine out there and a lot of different RIPS so I'll throw my opinion out there for ya.
If I had my personal choice setup I'd run an Epson S60600 (dual CMYK) printer on an Onyx RIP, a GFP 563th Laminator, and a Mimaki or Graphtec plotter.
I would recommend that you go with the Flexi monthly RIP subscription service to run your printer, I think it is around $50/mo.
Rasterlink is HORRIBLE, you would hate it compared to VersaWorks.

I went the opposite way you did - I ran my own shop for many years, and finally decided to just go work for the competition.
I only have to worry about signs during my paid hours now; when I clock out, I really do clock out. Someone else loses sleep at night worrying about those things now.
Before, I never really "clocked out" and when you compared the total hours put in against the wages earned...

SignsByRonnie

Having run both cmyk and cmyk lc lm as well as 8-9 color machines, I’d say your inclination toward 6-8 color machine is the right one. Along others we run mimaki cjv 150-160 in 8 color setup and are very satisfied with the output. I would also never recommend to buy a small machine with 2 heads if it’s not limiting your color choices in a single head version (I’d stay away from mimakis 300 series). Also 60” inch is a must (think of all 5 foot banners you’ll have to turn away to start with)

RasterLink is an extremely easy to use and straight forward rip. The only downside is it doesn't provide profiling module, but from mimaki's online profile library you will most likely find a profile that will suit 90% of your colors and materials. We for example print everything with canned Avery gloss psv 720x1440 18pass profile with excellent results

We recently bought 4 color epson s60800 by reading rave reviews here on 101. But we were severely disappointed in the quality of the output and were extremely lucky and grateful to grimco to work out a swap to a 9 color S80600 for us

How are you liking your Epson S80600 so far? I'm looking into a new printer and looking at the OKI E-64s right now, but want to get the best machine for my investment.

mark galoob

I think you would be better subbing out the work for awhile till you can justify the cost. In other words make a nice home for it first then paying for it ain’t no big deal.

PrintPostal

We bought an HP Latex about a year ago. We make a little but if everything, not one banding or color issue. Can print an laminate immediately and put on a car or anything else. I've had Roland, along with Konica xerox and Canon copiers. The HP Latex is one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever purchased. Easy, works well, no out gassing, easy to change heads and awesome service I'd there is any issues.

Jun Lanon

Hi yall!

I am currently working at a print / sign shop and have been getting screwed on my wage for far too long and have decided to open my own little sign shop since I am the only one who can do everything including the design, printing, and installs.

I have got some quotes on a new 54" printer / cutter and am having trouble deciding which way to go.

I have been running the new Roland VG-540 at my current shop and have had a few problems with it with banding and the cyan leaking . It still pumps out jobs though.

There is a supplier 1 hour from my new shop who has given me a quote on a brand new Mimaki CJV150-130 and a brand new Roland VG-540 .

The price is pretty much the same for either right now.
$19,700 CAD for the mimaki and $19,495 for the Roland.
This is in Canadian and comes with delivery, setup, training and a 2 year warranty.

I will be doing signage, decals, canvas / art prints, and vehicle wraps.
I am leaning towards the Mimaki with the CMYK LC LM LK OR setup.

Is the Roland a better deal? Is RastLink really that bad? Has anyone run both machines and have a preference?

Thanks in advance!
Stratojet is the best compared to all brands mentioned. Better quality and speed, but most of what really matters is the 24 hour tech support. Meet with us on the SGIA show Booth [HASHTAG]#601[/HASHTAG] and say hello. I can give you comparison, breakdown and show you how you'll save thousands.

PrintPostal

You'd be better off just getting the prints wholesale for a while.
I've had roland and now have hp. Love the HP much better print to laminate no curing or outgassing. Service is great and we haven't had any problems with 30 or more different media ran yet.

unmateria

I would repair the vs sinceramente its a cheap and easy to mantain machine and i would buy a láser cutting machine or a CNC and save the rest of the money. You are going to make more money and much more different works with those machines than with a New plotter