Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New shop tool

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    After doing a few trailers where I had to remove rivets from them... and 3 flat tires later, I'm getting this.

[​IMG]

I write this as I am sitting waiting on new tires at a tire shop that I had to tow my truck to.:(

Tags:
  2. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Need to get one myself, we've got HVAC guys next door and I'm always finding bits of metal and screws in the parking lot...just waiting to find one in my tires...where did you get that unit?

3. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I got one at Harbor Freight... was going to use it this weekend but it was raining... I paid for that delay!

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Saw one of these many years ago. Nothing more than a cylinder magnet with 2 wheels screwed into the ends and a stirrup sort of bar with a handle welded on to it. Just won't pick up sharp aluminum things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    ^ Right. Rivets are usually aluminum. That won't help with trailer trash... but it's great for doing the parking area where your work trucks are parked to pick up stray nails and screws....

6. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Dang... the rivets are whats been causing me problems.

I did pick up 5 rusty screws, 2 rusty nails, 1 rust xacto blade and a bunch of bolts and two really odd 3" long, 1/2" thick metal rods???

7. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Are they actually rivets or are they screws that can be removed with a #2 robertson bit?

I've yet to run into a trailer that actually has rivets, usually only screws. Maybe our Canadian trailers are a little different though........

8. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    That is a very handy tool,
    we do welding and the number used rods on the ground are total destruction on tires

9. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We had a new tool in the shop. On his first day, he punched out for lunch and never came back.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  10. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Lol, #2 Robertson screws...

You know how long it took me to figure out that they were not star bits?? For years I thought I just didn't have the right T-Size bit... till I finally decided to Google and and waaahhlllaaa, its actually a SQUARE... DUUHHHHH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  11. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Could have saved yourself some money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, that won't work great on rivets. You oughta look into the Ryobi 18v sweeper.