• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Solaris 440 Ink has TOXIC smell, anyone else experience this?

Mahogan

I have been using the Solaris 440 CMYK in my Versacamm VP-540 since the warranty ran out about 3 years ago. I have been very happy with the Solaris inks, until a few months ago. Now it is so TOXIC smelling, I can't stand it! It seems that it is even getting worse! Since switching from Roland OEM there was a very slight difference in smell. So after using the Solaris, it has been just fine, nothing major. But now, I have to keep all my doors open and have to put a box fan that blows toward the printer, otherwise the fumes are over powering!

I only use the 440 cartridges, not bulk. Solaris has recently changed there packaging from a fancy Cardboard to a plastic and wonder if in their effort to save money and make more profits they took out the ECO in the Eco Solvent, cause these are like my old solvent printer where it had to be vented!

Has anyone else experienced this recently with Solaris brand inks?

Dakotagrafx

solaris

My first printer came with solaris inks - though not real bad with ventilation when my bronchitis was acting up it was killer - went back to roland inks and haven't looked back - even less clogging when I don't use it for a week or so - vacations of 2 weeks were sure to have clogs with the solaris.
Jut my 2c I know people that print every day have no problems but I know the smell it stronger

Robert M

Those inks

Have them send you an MSDS sheet and take a look what is in there. You can compare the chemicals to the OEM inks (their MSDS will be on their site)
BTW, ECO is for Economical, they use masking agents to reduce the smell.

Mahogan

Jack Knight1979

I have noticed after the last year that the bulk inks have gotten more smelly. I vent my printer off the platen and trap/vent the take up area, so it's not a problem. I did all this because of Triangle ink. I kept this in place when I switched to Solaris.

If I was using carts I would stick with OEM. There's no savings if you're killing yourself.

that said. You should still vent OEM inks or at least have a window open.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I use Solaris Inks. Have for years. There was a day or 2 not too long ago it seemed a little stronger smelling in the print room. Odor is back to normal. There are 2 different types of cartridges now...so perhaps to keep up...they are being produced at 2 different locations.

Jack Knight1979

I won't post photos because, honestly, it's an ugly job. It does work. I'd be happy to explain how I did it.

I took a 4" hole saw and cut a hole on the top of the printer above the platen area. I vented this with dryer vents and an HVAC inline booster fan.

I then built an enclosure out of MDF to replicate the Clean-Air systems that traps the fumes coming off prints on the take up area. Also similar to how Mimaki encloses their take-up area. I hooked up a 2nd 4" exhaust coming off this area.

No smells unless I'm printing a lot of heavy coverage. Even then, it's minor. I'm sensitive to fumes, so I couldn't be in the room with the printer if it was not vented. Even OEM inks bothered me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-Inch-...279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257d056047