Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new SP-540i on the way - hoping to get vibrant colors

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by jhd, May 6, 2011.

1. jhd

jhd Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Elmira, New York
    I just recently upgraded from a Sp-300 with colorip to a SP-540i with versaworks, which will be delivered next week. Apprarently I'm having issues with dull colors according to a client. Any tricks to getting the colors to really pop with my new machine?

I'm a huge fan of coreldraw and most of my files were created in corel. I'm starting to dabble in Illustrator, - it is taking me awhile to become comfortable with the program and produce graphics in a timely manner, but I'm willing to slowly make the switch if it means I'll get better color.

any thoughts or knowledge to getting vibrant colors from corel or illustrator would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:
  2. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I'm also a new owner of that very machine. You simply must use the Roland color palette system. End of story.

3. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    "You simply must use the Roland color palette system. End of story"

this

4. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Hey Guys, I like the Roland Color System but how do you get by with such a limited amount of colors? I just wish that they had an expanded swatch library, or maybe they do and I just don't know it?

5. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Huh?

Attached Files:

6. 34Ford

34Ford Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Colin,

How does one acquire one of these? Is this something available once I submit my serial number for registration and can get access to Rolands dga site?

7. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    You don't acquire one, you make one. Simply print off the palette in VW and after it's had a few hours to dry, cut it up into pieces as indicated by the cut marks which are printed as well. Then put together as shown.

8. 34Ford

34Ford Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Thats easy enough. :thankyou:

9. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    ...and don't forget to print it onto the media that you mostly print on. Colors will change slightly on different media. You almost need to make one on each different media (canvas, paper, banner, matte vinyl, gloss vinyl, etc) but I never did.

10. 34Ford

34Ford Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I thought about that after I left. This is my first printer, so I will be asking about common material to use.

What did you do, make the plastic backs, drill holes and stick a bolt thru to make your swatch sample?

11. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Yes, I used some black Sintra. Use a poly-lock nut.