• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New SP30v arriving soon, i have acouple questions...

Red-Eye

I am setting up my delivery this week for my new SP300v.

Acouple questions....

1. I am working in my basement and I have been told that the delivery guy will take it off the truck and thats it. So...now I need to move it from the road, down the basement stairs and into my room.

2. Can i do this by taking it out of the box? I would assume it would be easeier, but I also have heard of sometiem they dont' want you to open the box before the tech gets there to set it up?

3. How many guys should it take to move it?

4. Any ideas of how to move it from the road down teh cellar steps, without carrying it?

Any other tips??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ours was shipped to us and we had it up and running before the tech guy got here. Assemble the whole thing if you have confidence that you can do it correctly, that just takes time away from his being there to train you.

As for getting it down in the basement, keep it in the box and slide it down your steps if you don’t have help to carry it. They are somewhat fragile in the box, but a lot more fragile out of the box. The driver probably isn’t allowed to help you once it’s off the truck, so plan on having as party and get plenty of :beer :beer to pay off your muscles [helpers].

Besides, the beer will help you feel better if you drop it.

2NinerNiner2

Congratulations! :)

The manual, conveniently located INSIDE the box, states that "unpacking and installation must be carried out by four or more persons" :) ...they're right! ...the darn thing is heavy! My SP-300 manual states 355 lbs. as the packed weight.

As for the setting up, yes, you can probably do it and save that time for the tech to train, but my view is, hey...if he screws up or breaks something setting it up, then it's his (and the dealer's) problem and cost... if you screw it up or break it, can you afford that? :)

One other thing ... lots of :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer really helps! ...but AFTER it's downstairs! :)

Cheers!
Lyle

Last edited:

Ken

When mine arrived, it was just me and the tech guy. Yes, it was a bear to get that through the door.
Use a dolly of some kind for as much of this as possible. Have some friends on hand to help with this. We don't want to read about you being squished at the bottom of the stairs!
The person at the top of the stairs could have a rope or strap wrapped around the box to hold back what gravity wants to do.
And good luck when you want to get it OUT of the basement...
Cheers!
Ken

mediaman

When we sell a VersaCAMM (or any printer) we recommend that the stand is removed and set up where the printer will ultimately sit. Then 4 people should carry the printer to the stand with another person lining it up on the stand and putting in the bolts that hold the printer on the stand. Most sites without a loading dock usually need to take the printer out of the box before bringing it inside. Without a dock the box may be too wide to fit through a standard door. We also ship every printer with a lift-gate truck to avoid off-loading issues. The printer must be up on the stand when our technician arrives and we bring the ink with us to avoid incorrect set-up by the buyer.

Mason

Dude, get some help to move the boxes, let the tech set up the machine for you, that covers you if anything is wrong with it, which I hope is not. Good luck with it, I love mine!

Mac34

Not sure how strong you are, but two average strength people should be able to carry it. A third person can't hurt though for that "just in case" factor. You should be fine though, as my father in law and I carried mine down a windey, crushed stone path to the entrance to my walkout basement. We were on our toes, but it is nothing too ridiculous. After you get it in there though, DON'T touch anything! The tech they'll send out could more than likely install this thing in his/her sleep. "Investigation" will not only make their job harder, it could leave you liable if anything is missing or broken. They'll have it going soon enough, and by the end of the day you'll be working away on your new printer!

Did you say it was the 30" or 54" model? The 30" is what I have, and is just about all I feel like carrying. Anything bigger, I'd call in the troops LOL! Good luck, and congrats!

Red-Eye

Well they made a surprise delivery monday. I was able to scrounge up one guy to help me on short notice.

we carried it down the stairs out of the box since the box wouldn't fit.

We ptu the stand together and lifted it up there then just inched it inplace.

Not too bad...definitly was alittle sore last night. :)

The tech is coming out tomorrow. I didn't do anything put mount it to the stand. Should be fun! :)

Urban Image

648pd1962511jj4.jpg

That's a great printer. I recall one time needing to carry, with several other people, the 87" LT into the show room. That was something to make you sore.

bigbly

it was just me and the tech to setup my SJ-745EX
now THAT was a struggle

btw he had the heavy end :thumb:

noregrets

Those printers are not light!!!

Brings back the memories of mine....I bought it second hand.....when I picked it up it took 3 guys to get it into my truck.

When I got home with it, there was only the wife and I. The wife couldnt even lift it an inch, so we were posed with a problem!

We send a lot of our work off in boxes, and as a result have stacks of empty boxes around.....so after a bit of head scratching i came up with a plan.

After building up the stand i slowly built up piles of boxes one side at a time and slowly levered it up. Took a couple of hours, but worked like a charm!

Ken

Ya, well how do you think they moved those monoliths around on Easter Island??? cardboard boxes!
LOL...
Ken

Sign Works

Red Eye, congrats on the new printer, you are gonna love it, you're only regret will be that you didn't go ahead and get the 54" model.