• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Summa S160T - Software questions

silversurfer

Hi there,

We just had our Summa S160T delivered, and now I have a software quandary.

We are almost entirely Mac based, and were told by our reseller that we would have no problems with using Mac software with our new plotter. Now we are learning that the MacSign Cut software supplied with the cutter doesn't have support for OPOS, which will be the majority of our workflow. In order to get the OPOS functionality we would need to buy an upgrade.

However, it seems that the OPOS is supported with the supplied Windows software. So now the question would be: would you buy the upgrade for MacSign, buy a PC to run WinPlot, buy another software package, or return the whole thing?

We feel that Summa and our reseller really gave us a kick in the beets with this one, especially since we specifically asked this question. We bought the top of the line plotter and now need to shell out extra just to run it.

What would you do?

jayhawksigns

First off, Summas' are awesome plotters, hard to go wrong there.

Hope that you can get the software issues figured out, sucks that the reseller didn't quote you the proper software to begin with. The cheapest option seems to be to upgrade the Mac software, you could always threaten to return the equipment if they don't work something out for you on this.

bigben

Did you use the software in the box or you download it from the summa web site. When I've purchased mine the tech told me to download the software and not use the one in the box.

silversurfer

Yeah, the hardware seems decent, it's the service that seems to be falling down.

We contacted Summa directly and asked who our local reseller was. They still haven't got back to us yet...

There were no disks with the plotter. We downloaded the software from the websites provided to us by our reseller.

Looking at Flexi as an alternative...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I will say that FlexiSign Pro + printer + Summa S160T works beautifully together. At least on Windoze....

I'm only assuming Flexi on mac's works the same. Open the art in Flexi, add a contour cut, click print. It prints and automatically sends the cut job to Flexi Production Manager sitting with a Hold status. When you are ready, load the print in the cutter, set user (nice to configure up to 8 "users" with different blade pressures and speeds for different materials), on the Production Manager right click the job on hold and click send. The cutter will prompt to position the knife over the first opos mark. Do so and tap enter and away it goes.