• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Texas Covid variant doesn't sound good...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
No real surprise. This is what viruses do when they go unchecked. Everyone saying it's just the flu was somewhat right but that flu mutates and here we are. This here is what doctors and epidemiologists have been trying to warn everyone about. Contrary to the popular opinion that bill gates was out to implant chips in everyone, this is actually why they were pushing a rapid rollout of the vaccine, to get ahead of variants.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I love how these stories "sound" dire but offer no evidence that the variant is actually worse or scarier.
Did you even read it? And you know, they try so that wouldn't happen. If you see that evidence walking around town the shits already hit the fan.
“This variant combines genetic markers separately associated with rapid spread, severe disease and high resistance to neutralizing antibodies.”
"The student tested positive for Covid on March 5 and tested positive again on March 25, showing that the new strain may cause a longer infection in younger people."

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Please be ware that this is a CNBC report and therefore is most likely to be fake news designed to scare people into taking the vaccines. The vaccines are also being recalled (J &J) because of side affects that are worse than the virus.

WildWestDesigns

Vaccines are rarely proactive and more reactive. And by that I mean that the new strain has to already exist before a vaccine can come about to treat the new strain. Unless we come up with a vaccine that is also able to mutate as well. While cool, can be also scary as well.

Typically vaccines are tested for years (I think the minimum is 2 yrs (typical is 5 to 10 yrs) and keep in mind, this is new technology as far as the delivery system goes) before put out in the market, even then, they could still cause issues and those issues usually take months, even years to manifest and that isn't even taken into consideration how long it takes to make a connection to the cause of concern. I find it funny that people go "didn't turn into a monkey after my second shot, so I'm good", when it rarely works that way.

There may not be anything wrong with the vaccine, I don't know if there is or isn't, only time will show if that is the case.

The vaccines are also being recalled (J &J) because of side affects that are worse than the virus.

What medicine really doesn't have caveats to it? That's the thing. It all depends on an individual persons' risk assessment.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Please be ware that this is a CNBC report and therefore is most likely to be fake news designed to scare people into taking the vaccines. The vaccines are also being recalled (J &J) because of side affects that are worse than the virus.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day. I think the phrase "fake news" was retired last year.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
There's from tamu for you.
https://today.tamu.edu/2021/04/19/texas-a-genome-suggests-potential-resistance-to-antibodies/
https://today.tamu.edu/2021/03/12/understanding-vaccine-hesitancy-in-pursuit-of-widespread-immunity/

Vaccines are rarely proactive and more reactive. And by that I mean that the new strain has to already exist before a vaccine can come about to treat the new strain. Unless we come up with a vaccine that is also able to mutate as well. While cool, can be also scary as well.
Not true, it doesn't work like this. The mutations have the same "base" so to say, as long as they don't mutate that or change too much the vaccines will have some effect.

Will vaccines still work against variants?
Current vaccines were designed around earlier versions of coronavirus, but scientists believe they should still work, although perhaps not quite as well.
A recent study suggests the Brazilian variant may be resisting antibodies in people who've already had Covid and should have some immunity.
However, early lab results and real life data suggest the Pfizer vaccine can protect against the new variants, although slightly less effectively.
Data from the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine team suggests it protects just as well against the new UK variant.
It offers less protection against the South Africa variant - but should still protect against severe illness.
Early results suggest the Moderna vaccine is effective against the South Africa variant, although the immune response may not be as strong or long-lasting.
Two new coronavirus vaccines awaiting approval - Novavax and Janssen - also appear to offer some variant protection.
Experts say with a new virus mutation, even in a worst case scenario, vaccines could be redesigned and tweaked in weeks or months to be better matches.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55659820

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are your getting more jabs ?
Im ok with the new variants.
Why worry about this?

People that drink alchohol are extremely vulnerable.
Are you afraid you'll get sick again?

Are you asking me?
No to all of it, except I'm not OK with new variants... Why would anyone be ok with that?

WildWestDesigns

Not true, it doesn't work like this. The mutations have the same "base" so to say, as long as they don't mutate that or change too much the vaccines will have some effect.

That's the key thing there. Even all the other examples you gave, they weren't as strong, or long lasting (which means tweaking has to still be done). Or early data "suggests" that it works on mutated strains. And I see the word "may" in there. Not "will", but "may".

That's all still wishy washy in their answers. Which I can understand, because if they said that it will, but it doesn't, that's no bueno for them.

Even with the "could be redesigned in weeks/months", that's still reactive. Quick reactive, but still none the less reactive.

What most people forget is that life in general is incredibly fragile. Always has been, always will be.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
That's the key thing there. Even all the other examples you gave, they weren't as strong, or long lasting (which means tweaking has to still be done). Or early data "suggests" that it works on mutated strains. And I see the word "may" in there. Not "will", but "may".
Yes but they work and that's A lot better than nothing. Actually indefinitely better than nothing.
Like I said, it's not like they stop working completely when a new variation comes out.

rjssigns

This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day. I think the phrase "fake news" was retired last year.
I disagree with your statement. Media is all agenda driven. Real news died decades ago. You're probably too young to remember the days when journalism and finding the truth mattered.

WildWestDesigns

Yes but they work and that's A lot better than nothing. Actually indefinitely better than nothing.
Like I said, it's not like they stop working completely when a new variation comes out.

They may somewhat work. It's still too soon to even know for sure on that.

But what is the tradeoff? That's what I'm waiting for, the other shoe to drop.

Take a break and watch the game show TV station. They are almost always medical ads, either lawyers that want to go after hernia mesh malfunctions or they are for COPD meds that have a list of 50 things (I exaggerate for effect, but the announcer does tend to speak quicker during that list of side effects to get through them quicker it seems) that they could potential cause compared to the one thing that they try to treat.

Even sulpher based antibiotics, they don't want you use after so long and you have to take copious amounts of water to help prevent issues with organs for short term usage.

Now, well everyone have those side effects, no and not of the same degree as the next person. I know people that have smoked their entire life and still don't have lung cancer (and they loved their "cowboy killers") even though they are in their 80s. My grandmother who lived at 101.5 (died in 2015) never met a vegetable that she liked and loved KFC (although I don't know if she would've liked the 3D printed stuff that they are trying out).

There are always trade offs with everything and I'm erroring on the side of caution to see what those are. They maybe nothing or they may be something. Way too soon to know for sure.

Keep in mind, there is an Austrian vaccine expert that while isn't against the vaccine at all, but is concerned that due to how it's being rolled out to what population health is going to be like in 5 to 10 yrs. 5 to 10 yrs, that should give an indication about how not immediate negative impact could happen.

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just can't keep buying into all this. I won't believe it until I see hospitalizations go up and kids dying from it. I hope that doesn't happen! I'm pretty much over the virus, over the masks, the shut downs, the whole works. Our cases are almost to nothing in my area and have been since Christmas. My zip code...March 13, April 3 - I suspect May will be at zero. Yet there are still perfectly healthy people that I know scared to death to leave their house. I just shake my head...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Between news people, politicians and the pharmaceutical industry........ they want you to be afraid. If you aren't sick, who's paying for all those advertisements to keep you sick ?? Like mentioned, the list of things these medicines can and will give you are far worse than the skin rash they're trying to get rid of. Have this problem ?? Well take this. It can cause death, so take it a little at a time. Make it a nice slow death. The longer we keep you sick.... or you think you're sick, the more money we can make from you. Got this problem or that problem ?? We won't cure it, but we'll treat you for the rest of your life. Cripes, if we made you well, like in the olden days when doctors made house visits and cures..... we couldn't build these huge buildings and keep coming up with bullsh!t problems. We only wanna mask the problems. We don't wanna get rid of them.

Ya know, if the world wanted to invent a tire that never wore out, they could, but who would keep on buying tires ?? Built-in obsolescence and our bodies are no different. They spent the second half of the 1800s and the first half of the 1900s curing and ridding the world of medical problems. They quickly found out, they put themselves almost outta a job. Let's find a new approach.​