• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to 310 and Flexi calibration

iladi

Hi,

yesterday I was starting to print with my new 310 printer and have some questions:

when using Flexi, what is the correct profiling procedure?

i was trying three ways and all give me pinkish neutrals:

1. loading media, select PAPER, doing internal calibration (the 2 steps I can do with 310) and then start a color calibration in Flexi, but skip ink limits skip linearization and only build the ICC = pinkish

2. doing internal calibrations (the 2 steps) and then in Flexi redone the ink limits and linearization and gray balance, ICC = pinkish

3. load media, no internal calibration in the printer and done a regular color calibration in Flexi. Something better but not quite perfect.

What am I doing wrong?

Adrian

bigsign

hp 310

We had the HP tech help us with the setup. You should have received all day training with your new printer.

iladi

Yeah, yesterday must have been to excited (new toy) or to tired. Today I have done two calibrations that match spot the ones I have on the same media printed on Roland.

So, all good now:rock-n-roll:

All in all a good printer as far as I can see in 2 days (yes already jump to conclusions but I had Epson, Canon, Roland Mutoh as well, so not quite a greenhorn). The only major flaw is the absence of a sheet cutter. Come on HP, it was only a few euros.

iceon

I had color issues with my 310. Red would be orange. Techs worked on it for a week they couldn't figure it out. After they left for the day. I changed my flexi colors to all 3M colors and it printed perfect. Haven't had an issue since.

r2prints

I had color issues with my 310. Red would be orange. Techs worked on it for a week they couldn't figure it out. After they left for the day. I changed my flexi colors to all 3M colors and it printed perfect. Haven't had an issue since.

Not to threadjack, but I am also a new owner of a 310 (almost a month now)

I setup profiles with the tech and my reds, greens, yellows, blacks, grays, and oranges are dead on. I primarily print on very high gloss media. I am designing in Illustrator (RGB) and saving as a PDF and printing through the included Flexi HP edition. After printing countless calibrations and swatches, the only color I have a problem hitting is a nice royal blue. It always seems to shift purple, even at 100C and 50M with some K mixed in (If I design in CMYK) I have recently just got it pretty dialed by switching the rendering intent to Perceptual within Flexi. This is also using an RGB colorspacs and using 255B.

Is this a fix that anyone else has had to do? It's a little annoying that I have to change the rendering intent on every job I import. Any insight would be appreciated.

As for the OP, I am getting great colors with no shifts at 100% ink 10 pass with stock HP profiles for both gloss and matte media. If you are designing in RGB, I have noticed that you have to lighten up the colors a bit. For example, my printed "bright green" has to be borderline yellow in Illustrator. This is without monitor calibration.

iladi

Very pleased with my color now, but not so pleased about the speed: it is almost half of the speed HP claims in the specifications.

A 15 meter by 0.6 meter SAV job prints about 5 square meter per hour 10 passes/110 ink limit quitefar from 9 sq meters per hour claimed :(

tooth63

What did you figure out?

Yeah, yesterday must have been to excited (new toy) or to tired. Today I have done two calibrations that match spot the ones I have on the same media printed on Roland.

So, all good now:rock-n-roll:

All in all a good printer as far as I can see in 2 days (yes already jump to conclusions but I had Epson, Canon, Roland Mutoh as well, so not quite a greenhorn). The only major flaw is the absence of a sheet cutter. Come on HP, it was only a few euros.

What was your process to do the calibrations with Flexi? Did you do them on the printer or Flexi?

iladi

I do all the steps in Flexi.

Start a new media on the printer and set driver options: pass count and ink limit to the max allowed to that pass, vacuum etc.

In Flexi i start a regular color calibration based on the new created media (no color corection selected on the media).

So far I manage to profile this way, SAV, paper, canvas similar with my Canon and Roland.