• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new to design

craigerdesigns

I recently purchased a vinyl printing business from a guy going out of buisness. Gerber graphix advantage 6.0 and plotter. I completed my first 3 jobs with little problems. But then the computer crashed. I was able to save the hard drive and the designs i had made. The problem is now I have lost a lot of the fonts that the previous owner must have had installed on the software somehow. I am still new to this, I do not understand how I get new fonts and how to put them into the program. I have many other problems, but replacing these fonts would make designing much easier than it is now.
Thanks in advance for the help.

craigerdesigns

ga 6.0 thats what i think you are asking. If it is not then i am not sure what you are asking.

I do have a sign font cd that came with the deal but i am unable to figure anything out with that.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are several things you need to come to terms with as to fonts and Gerber software.

1. Gerber uses a proprietary font system and comes with its own fonts. They are installed along with the software initially in a folder named GSPFonts. They have a file extension of .GSF and the names all start with the letter "G". So if you can't find your fonts you need to either locate the GSPFonts folder and transfer it to your new computer or you need to reinstall GA6.0 from your original CDs.

2. Gerber supplies a utility program named TT Font Converter. You can use it to convert any TrueType font to Gerber's proprietary format. It offers a choice of two ways to do it: Convert or Disjoin. Using the convert routine, the font is simply converted and its kerning and spacing scheme are retained. The resulting Gerber font will be faithful and of as high a quality as the original font, however, the ability to modify spacing (tighten or widen) in the Gerber font will not be available. This works fine for connected scripts but may be missed with other fonts. Gerber font names created by conversion start with the letter "T" when viewing the actual file in Windows Explorer. Using Disjoin, breaks all the characters down into individual PLT files and then they can be easily reassembled into a fully functional Gerber font using a second supplied utility program called Font Designer. It does a beautiful job on every kind of font except connected scripts. Gerber font names created by Font Designer start with the letter "U" when viewing the actual file in Windows Explorer. I wrote a tutorial on using it which is located HERE.

You should also be aware generally that you are using software which is about 15 years out of date and is only a 16 bit application. As such, you will encounter an increasing number of difficulties as you attempt to run it on an OS newer than Windows 98 or, in general get support for it.

craigerdesigns

thanks

thank you fred for your reply. I will try that and see if i can become computer literate. I was aware that the system was old, is there an upgrade that i can purchase that will help with my design process and be able to run on new computer programs?

Also I am trying to scan a logo and cannot get it to convert from jpeg to plt. Is there a converter program that i am supposed to buy as well?

ndemond

Your software has a option to convert a file:
Raster to Vector - import or scan the logo into composer and after selecting it find the command raster to vector use the default setting and click ok. It will give you a vector file which is lines. You must then clean up the nodes so the end result is a clean smooth outline drawing(vector) of the scanned logo.

This works well with very simple scanned images or copy, if it is detailed forget it and ask your customer for vector file it will be an .eps or an .ai

Nancy

Tony Teveris

As Fred mentioned the software is very old. You can upgrade to the latest Omega version. See the Gerber web site - www.gspinc.com

Did the older computer have two disk drives because the c:\GspFonts folder should have all the installed fonts. There are ways to have multiple locations (network driver, another disk driver, etc).

In the older days there was a GspSetup.exe application where you could install fonts from a floppy of CD.