• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new to heat press use...?'s

cha88

Hey just bought a Geo Knight dk20s... just set it up, i have no experience with a heat press so some simple questions i have are...

i pressed a blank shirt, just as a dry run to see how this thing works... and it has left a 16x20 darkened area where it was pressed... noticeable but nothing crazy... im wondering if this will go away after its washed, or am i supposed to be using a teflon sheet?

Mike_Koval

alot of times with colored shirts you will see some discoloration. no worries as it will go away. you will notice it more in reds and blues.

WildWestDesigns

Hey just bought a Geo Knight dk20s... just set it up, i have no experience with a heat press so some simple questions i have are...

i pressed a blank shirt, just as a dry run to see how this thing works... and it has left a 16x20 darkened area where it was pressed... noticeable but nothing crazy... im wondering if this will go away after its washed, or am i supposed to be using a teflon sheet?

I always use a teflon sheet. Just for double "security" I would make sure the edges of the teflon sheet extend beyond that of the press that way there is no edges pressed into it. More susceptible during sublimation printing.

cha88

thanks for the replys... mike yes it was a red shirt and yes it went away... looks like it may be moisture from the heat...

other question is if i do a transfer on the front of the shirt... do i need to do anything before i flip it over and press the back... it will not effect the front print will it??( i will be using siser heat transfer material off of my roland printer)

Mike_Koval

it will not affect the print on front when pressing on the pack. you can either flip it over or thread or dress the shirt on the lower platen.

rcook99

I have pressed thousands of plastisol trasfers along with full color transfers and don't use the teflon unless I am pressing a shirt with something already printed on it. Then I use it just to keep the ink from the other transfers from getting on the top platen. No problems so far. LOL Just my .02!

WildWestDesigns

While it is true you could get away without the teflon on the first printing on the shirt, I've seen some ruined while doing that, now it could be something totally unrelated to that, I don't know the specifics to say one way or the other. I just believe in covering my bases. It doesn't hurt, it makes me feel better, so in the end what's the harm? It might indeed just be a placebo, but it still gets the job done.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
as long as it works for you wildwest, do it....we’re just doing the same thing by saying what works for us.....

one thing I will mention, because we just got it recently....there’s a rubber zipper guard available through stahls....no more worries with plastic zippers...

WildWestDesigns

as long as it works for you wildwest, do it....we’re just doing the same thing by saying what works for us.....

one thing I will mention, because we just got it recently....there’s a rubber zipper guard available through stahls....no more worries with plastic zippers...

That's good to know.

kage

a teflon pillow is more handy than a sheet, I use the carrier sheets from sign vinyl instead of the teflon sheets.

shakey0818

I wonder if those sheets that go in the bottom of ovens will work?I dont know if there teflon but they can sure take the heat.