• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to making motocross graphics

spawn2031

Hey guys, just looking for a few pointers on this. I recently made a set of Motocross decals using 3M Controltac and MotoMark 12mil lam. The Motomark seems like it might be too soft? After one race the graphics were scratched like crazy with little bits of dirt embedded in them. Now, according to my client, the decals are starting to peel off. I've used Controltac before on vehicles and it always worked great so I am very surprised to hear about them coming up. The lam.. well all I knew is that most people used 12miland this brand was suggested by my supplier. So I am posting here to see if any of you have a better, more reliable combination of materials to use for Motocross graphics?

Thanks in advance!

DigiPrinter

Hey guys, just looking for a few pointers on this. I recently made a set of Motocross decals using 3M Controltac and MotoMark 12mil lam. The Motomark seems like it might be too soft? After one race the graphics were scratched like crazy with little bits of dirt embedded in them. Now, according to my client, the decals are starting to peel off. I've used Controltac before on vehicles and it always worked great so I am very surprised to hear about them coming up. The lam.. well all I knew is that most people used 12miland this brand was suggested by my supplier. So I am posting here to see if any of you have a better, more reliable combination of materials to use for Motocross graphics?

Thanks in advance!

You need a low energy vinyl.....Controltac is not. Convex is good and have laminates as well. MotoMark makes low energy vinyl as well. There's not one vinyl that works for all situations.....

Supergirl

I need to print some MX templates too and i was going to use motomark vinyl and laminate.

now i'm scared LOL

DigiPrinter

I need to print some MX templates too and i was going to use motomark vinyl and laminate.

now i'm scared LOL

Milk Day Queen :),

You'll be fine with MotoMark.....the op messed up using Controltac on low energy plastics. I use Convex all the time for sleds and bikes with great results. There's a distributor just down the road from you in Lake Forest that sells it at a good cost compared to some of the supply houses.

Supergirl

LOL

Consider me a temporary resident here hahahahaha!!

i try to support small businesses too. I have a supplier in wood dale and i'd be buying it from them. thank you so much. I WILL check out who you recommend too!!
Thank you!!

spawn2031

now i'm scared LOL

Thanks for the replies guys. I am definitely going to try the convex with pro-shield. A few quick questions about it though. I liked the Controltac because of how well it can be molded with a heat gun. Is this convex vinyl the same? BTW, where is a reliable pace for tee templates? I have tried a few places but they never seem to fit very well.

Supergirl, I am by no means an expert in this arena but I am going off of my experience so far and according to guys that ride these all the time, the lam should have held up better. So I will certainly be ditching the motomark. I don't know about their vinyl though.

Supergirl

Ty!

From the little research i've done, most of the others provide 12 mil laminate too, so i don't know why the others would be better.

the 3 bikes i have to do are for my close friends, so if i have to reprint, so be it. but i don't wanna buy a roll and have it sit here and be of no use in the future. :)

DigiPrinter

Thanks for the replies guys. I am definitely going to try the convex with pro-shield. A few quick questions about it though. I liked the Controltac because of how well it can be molded with a heat gun. Is this convex vinyl the same? BTW, where is a reliable pace for tee templates? I have tried a few places but they never seem to fit very well.

Supergirl, I am by no means an expert in this arena but I am going off of my experience so far and according to guys that ride these all the time, the lam should have held up better. So I will certainly be ditching the motomark. I don't know about their vinyl though.

Spawn....I've done a couple of motocross bikes and the Convex forms well. One area where a thicker laminate is probably needed is the tank where the knees rub.....

Look up Convex and research what combo might work best for you

waximoff

I've done hundreds and hundreds of sets using convex, motowrap, and substance so I can't really help with the other brands. IMO, Substance is the best. The colors are vibrant, install is great, and the durability is fantastic. Convex would run a second with motowrap a distant third.

TFB

We have been using 3M IJ39 to print motocross graphics. However when it comes to graphics placed on gas tanks, it starts to have bubbling over time. Any recommendations on overlaminate brands and how to reduce bubbling on gas tanks? We have slits cut in the design but it still bubbles over time. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nitro2010

Randy
I use Orajet 3951HT with MotoMark 12mil Lam and it seems to work great. I know the 3951HT is overkill, but my customers love that it doesn't shrink through the season. As far as bubbling of gas tanks, try making several line cuts where the tank graphic is. this helps!!!