• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to Sign Making

P

Padilla85

hey I am new to Channel letters, and lighted signs. I was wondering if anyone had any information on where to get cheap wholesale materials online? Lamps,Ballasts,Knockdown Kits etc. Preferably on the west coast.....Thank You

Bigdawg

Just Me
Ouch... this is going to hurt... I know it is...

You have no experience or certification to build a lighted sign but want to anyway? Or you have experience and licensing, but don't know where to find supplies?

Sorry... I'm not generally one to jump on the "where's your license" bandwagon, but it scares me when people play with electricity...

P

Padilla85

Actually My cousin own a shop and he has hired a few guys from a shop that has recently closed down and he has all he paperwork. The guys know the electrical and are certified and totally know what they are doing but they were just the muscle and have no idea where the supplies come from......my cousin just needs to find out about suppliers

Bigdawg

Just Me
Thank you for clarifying... much more likely to get help. I don't build my own so can't help you, but good luck..

P

Padilla85

@signage.....I'm pretty sure my cousin has all his paperwork taken care of...he just doesn't have time right now to be on a forum so i thought i would try to help him out with info on supplies and what not

daveb

General Know-it-all
Sounds like someone's trying to do their own maintenance, you wouldn't happen to own a motel would you or say a chinese restaurant? We have to clean up after guys like that all the time:banghead:, try to do their own work and then call us when they get it screwed up really bad.:frustrated:

signage

Having paper work in order has nothing do with with being a licensed contractor, you either have spent the time in an apprenticeship or you are not one! Even if the other guys only did the muscle work they should still know the company that came and delivered the items!

John L

It's an important question to know the answer to....

Individuals contracting in California without a contractor's license as a first offense face up to six (6) months in jail or a fine of up to $5,000. This is a substantial increase from the misdemeanor offense with no set jail time or penalties prior to 2010.

2nd offense is fine plus mandatory min 90 days.

3rd offense is castration.

Craig Sjoquist

well if your cousin is legal, you sell the signage, look at your suppliers in area, cousin installs I would not mention where you get the stuff, unless your both in same business.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If your cousin truly is a licensed electrical sign contractor, do him a favor and look for a reliable wholesaler of quality parts, kits and components at reasonable prices. "cheap wholesale materials online" is an invitation to product failures, injuries, liability lawsuits, and a short career in the sign industry.

W

wetgravy

If your cousin truly is a licensed electrical sign contractor, do him a favor and look for a reliable wholesaler of quality parts, kits and components at reasonable prices. "cheap wholesale materials online" is an invitation to product failures, injuries, liability lawsuits, and a short career in the sign industry.

+1, you get what you pay for.

Sign Prophet

Anyone who is a licensed C45 electrical sign contractor in California know's where to buy their supplies. This kinda sounds like a fly by night operation trying pop open.

On a side note, You need at least four years at the journeymen level to be eligible to apply for a contractors license in california.

Last edited: