Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To Signs 101- Need Help! flexsign User

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by cinnamongirl56, Aug 25, 2008.

1. cinnamongirl56

cinnamongirl56 Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Hi, I have just joined and am glad I found you............i have been in sign business for 15 years but until this past year was doing mostly vinyl lettering on trucks, boats etc but am now getting more calls for business signs.......... My question is this.......... I designed and made a sign for a new business using alumalite and they have just emailed me with a question regarding using the art in other advertising................What is normal for something like this and also I have been reading your forums so i have learned quite a bit but I am not sure how to go about transfering the sign image in Flexisign to a disc for the customer to use............thanks for the help

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA...................

3. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Welcome to 101,

You can export the file as an EPS and provide them with that file,

as well as possibly converting to a PDF and providing that . . .

You can also just export as a JPG .

4. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member

Aug 9, 2007
    :Welcome: 2 :signs101:

5. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I would save/export as a few different file formats. at least a PDF and JPEG. Then just burn to a CD.

6. DRPSignsNGrafix

DRPSignsNGrafix Very Active Member

:Welcome:2:signs101:

U can export from Flexi as a EPS or AI file,

7. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Another welcome to the forums from PA. . . . .

8. ahollow

ahollow Active Member

Dec 25, 2004
    First, was the cost of the design in the original order? In other words, do you own the design, or do they?

Second, instead of giving them the file, see what forms of advertising they are looking for. If they want printed menus, T's etc. let them know you can do that, and outsource it. No sence losing business. Once you give them the artwork, they can go anywhere they like, and you may never see them again, but you may see your design all over the city and internet. Try to work with them on this.

9. cinnamongirl56

cinnamongirl56 Member

Aug 22, 2008
    wow great help thanks .............have never been asked by a customer to use a design so i wasn't sure how to answer...............yes I designed it myself so it is my design but I did not charge a set up or art charge as I was making the sign for them ........they want to use design for business cards and ads......................i live in a very small rural area but we do have a couple of sign shops here...............thanks

10. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

You should develop a system for charging for your design work. The design shouldn't be just given to them but you didn't set precedent first so you may be in a quandary this time.

Is it a layout or a logo?

Just an idea...we do biz cards all the time so you can do the biz cards yourself - just sub the printing out - search the forums for many companies that can do this wholesale for you. Send the layout to the newspaper or whomever it is that is doing the ad directly and explain to the original company that they need to pay for a release of high quality vector images. Good luck!

11. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Export as an AI, EPS, PDF, and a high res JPEG ( on disk ) and you should have all bases covered....Make sure you are getting paid for it and that you are not infringing on any copyright issues.....

12. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Welcome from Skokie, IL :thumb:

13. ahollow

ahollow Active Member

Dec 25, 2004
    You should add business cards, just do the design and outsource. Plenty of great sites. I use 4over.com, silkcards.com, and overnightprints.com, depending on what I need printed.

4over has a nice sample booklet they can send you, and silkcards has the greatest free dealers kit I've ever seen. I'm having some foil cards done by them right now.

14. cinnamongirl56

cinnamongirl56 Member

Aug 22, 2008
    thanks for the welcome mat................i have a lot to learn it seems...............I don't normally charge a set-up/art fee if I am doing the sign but I am guessing I need to change that now that I am going to be doing more signs............How do you figure a fee? is it too late to charge one on this particular sign? Again I appreciate all of the responses...............

15. D&Tgraphics

D&Tgraphics Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    Everyone already answered the questions above.

so, Welcome from NY..........

16. maddmd

maddmd Member

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Welcome from NJ :Welcome:

17. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    just curious...at what point do they own the design?

I guess what I really want to know is how does the conversation go, if in fact you think you own it? I am being hypothetical here as I am sure there are many situations where you really don't want to give up the file, but that would probably only end up causing bad blood and you may never hear from them again. Lets take the example of a vectored logo that you may have redrawn to do 3 or 4 of their vehicles and other assorted work. Somewhere in the cost of those vehicles they have payed you to put the logo into your computer, so if they need a copy of the logo for printing or web or whatever, how can you say "no" or charge them and then expect them to ever come to you again. I sometimes get suspicious as to what they need it for and ask so that I send it in the appropriate manner. I generally have a very good releationship with my customers and I will email them what they need and just hope they are not going elsewhere. I can probably guarantee that if I asked for money to give them their logo I will never hear from them again. Now if the guy is a PITA customer or a bad payer I may delay the sending until the account is cleared and even then take my sweet time.

18. GregT

GregT Very Active Member

and yet another welcome from PA...

19. outacontrol41

outacontrol41 Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Girdletree, MD
    If it's a new customer, I usually ask them to bring their own memory key and download a low res image of their logo (much harder for the competition to trace those jagged edges!), and never, ever give them a .eps file ready to cut without getting paid up front first. Some 'unworthy' customers look for the best designer in town, 'borrow the logo' to take home and show the wife, and it somehow ends on their sign a couple weeks later with maybe a slight modification or two. Don't let this happen to you! You can imagine how I know all this......:banghead:.......