• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to Sublimation

Ditchmiester

IM looking for a desktop system that can print in the13x19 range. I've looked at the Ricoh printers and some of the Epson but was wondering if there are any other systems I should be considering?

WildWestDesigns

IM looking for a desktop system that can print in the13x19 range. I've looked at the Ricoh printers and some of the Epson but was wondering if there are any other systems I should be considering?

If 13x19 is the max that you are looking at, you really can't beat the Ricoh printers. Especially if it sits for long periods between jobs.

CES020

I second that. The Ricoh's and their gel inks are awesome. We used to dye sub more than we do now and our printer sits for weeks at a time before being used. You can't do that with the Epson.

If you are new to sublimation and used to color matching with your wide formats, go buy some Goodies or BC Powder, you're going to need it :) The color gamut on small format dye sub isn't remotely as close to the gamut in what you are used to, plus you can't tell what color it is when it comes out the printer. The color doesn't appear until it's sublimated. You can still do great work and get very vibrant colors, so please don't misunderstand me, my only point is that it can be a little frustrating since you can't just print something and tell if it needs to be modified, you need to print and press it and then make adjustments.

A good profile is worth it's weight in gold. We bought from Conde because we believe they have a great profile for that printer and I think the President of Conde understands color better than anyone else in that business that I have spoken to.

Dennis422

I second that. The Ricoh's and their gel inks are awesome. We used to dye sub more than we do now and our printer sits for weeks at a time before being used. You can't do that with the Epson.

If you are new to sublimation and used to color matching with your wide formats, go buy some Goodies or BC Powder, you're going to need it :) The color gamut on small format dye sub isn't remotely as close to the gamut in what you are used to, plus you can't tell what color it is when it comes out the printer. The color doesn't appear until it's sublimated. You can still do great work and get very vibrant colors, so please don't misunderstand me, my only point is that it can be a little frustrating since you can't just print something and tell if it needs to be modified, you need to print and press it and then make adjustments.

A good profile is worth it's weight in gold. We bought from Conde because we believe they have a great profile for that printer and I think the President of Conde understands color better than anyone else in that business that I have spoken to.

He is dead on. Ricoh 7100. Get it with a bypass tray so you can print 13" wide. Conde has 13x21 paper so you do not have to worry about paper edges on two sides on 16x20 heat press.
I got my set up in December, paid off already. Had an order of 360 shirts which paid off the printer.
Ink is expensive, but I think it is worth every penny because of no clogging issues, Just make sure you use it before expiry date.
Good luck

WildWestDesigns

Speaking of color.

If you get the printer setup from Conde, they throw in a printer profile for free (or at least they used to) or you can buy it for I think $100 if you got your printer elsewhere.

If you buy the Sawgrass inks, there is a link on in insert for their printer drivers with different settings for different media. It also includes a ColorSure Palette that goes well with their inks.

Color management is a little different as was already mentioned, especially when doing it on fabrics that are light colors, but not pure white. Or gloss v. matte finished.

I must say that I do like a good sublimated shirt though, it's just if people can get beyond the 100% poly and light color only requirement.

Ditchmiester

Thanks for all the information guys. I am definitely leaning towards the Ricoh printers now I just need to pick one out. I have already spent a lot of time on the Conde website watching a lot of their videos and learning a whole bunch. Will keep you all updated as i'm sure I will have more questions.

BESTBLANKS

Sublimation up to 13x19 transfers

Hi, Perhaps we can help. The Ricoh SG 7100DN Sublimation Printer is your best bet. We are a premium sublimation wholesaler that offers everything you need for sublimation. Please see this link for more info: http://www.bestblanks.com/sublimation.html

We are glad to answer any questions - Please call us 888-431-7385

Thanks for your post!

www.bestblanks.com

WildWestDesigns

At what point do these start to fade?

Unless you are using something that is high in bleach or using a commercial type of wash, your shirt is likely on the way out before the print will be.

With sublimation, you are dyeing the fabric itself, so unless you are throwing bleach directly on to the fabric, you really shouldn't be all that concerned with fading.

WildWestDesigns

Can I use this printer to sublimate onto dry fit?

You can sublimate dri fit, but if it's 50-50 blend, you'll see some fading. For best long term results, you are going to want a 100% synthetic fabric to sublimate. Which in this case would be 100% polyester. You can do other synthetic fabrics, but that is the most common.

You'll also need to do it with light colors. If you need the rest of the color to be a darker color, you'll have to still get that white base substrate and sublimate that final color on to the item.

skdave

Before you buy a printer , which is the part everybody sooner or later has issue with, consider just out sourcing your transfers. Take you time learning how to heat press the thousands of item you can press and sell. Build a good customer base and spent that printer money on sales.
At that point you may want to buy printer that fits your base.
Good luck
dave@skmfg.com

artofacks1

I thought about that route to, but haven't found any local places will just sell me the print.
Before you buy a printer , which is the part everybody sooner or later has issue with, consider just out sourcing your transfers. Take you time learning how to heat press the thousands of item you can press and sell. Build a good customer base and spent that printer money on sales.
Good luck
dave@skmfg.com

kheebl

Good luck
dave@skmfg.com

Do you have a recommendation for outsourcing sublimation transfers? I would also like to get into this but I want to be sure it is a product that will sell well in my area before dumping money into a printer that I wont use. I already have a nice heat press so If I can find someone to print the transfers for me to test that would be awesome.

WildWestDesigns

One thing that you really need to be aware of is color, especially for the small format printers (13 x 19 and smaller printers). Until you have pressed the transfer to the substrate, you won't know if the color is what you need it to be at or not.

Now rather or not you have your own printer or not, that is still an issue that you'll have to worry about. It's just easier to troubleshoot if it's your own versus having to go through someone else.

Some ink sets have their own profiles from programs like Ai, Ps, and DRAW (for small format we use sawgrass and they have palettes for those programs). If you buy your printer from a place like Conde you get a print profile as well that helps. Sawgrass has their own as well for the smaller stuff.

That would be my own leariness with outsources the transfer depending on how you outsource. And it would be a worry if you had your own printer as well, at least small format printing.

V-ENGRAVE

Do you have a recommendation for outsourcing sublimation transfers? I would also like to get into this but I want to be sure it is a product that will sell well in my area before dumping money into a printer that I wont use. I already have a nice heat press so If I can find someone to print the transfers for me to test that would be awesome.

Check this site:

http://www.mytransfersource.com/

artofacks1

In have a 15 X 15 and looking for a 24 X 16 heat press.

Seen a couple on ebay that are digital for about 300, any recommendations on the heat press?

WildWestDesigns

16x20 will be a good choice Hotronics.
Geo Knight has a nice 20x25" swing away.

I'm a Geo Knight fan myself.

If buying used, I would stick with the known brand myself. Some I'm sure would argue differently, but it's consistent heat across the platen that you want to make sure about and with buying used, you could be getting someone else's problem, especially with an off brand. Not always the case, but it is more likely then not with an off brand.