• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the business

0igo

here's some things that will really help you get up and going. trust me I started not too long ago as well. my mistake was asking for indirect guidance on here and prices lol- especially don't ask for prices lol. but let me list a few things you SHOULD Do.

-Get Flexisign (I think they changed the name to SAI) and no not a cracked or pirated version you will have problems.
-learn how to change your print profile on flexisign. you will not be using the same profile to print on media such as banners.
-Buy cheap material to start practicing. (I recommend banner material it's cheap and you can make good profite. figure out how much the competition is selling in your area and knock the price down a few bucks.
-lastly if you ask specific questions on this forum you will receive help (most of the time) but if you don't prepared to be put down. aw

decalman

Why hire a salesman? Why not hire a sales lady, that has a nice smile. Nice white teeth will take the money. It also stalls for more time, until you get the other kinks figured.. . ( just a suggestion)

Zakk

I have no problem with someone being new to the business, BUT this part pisses me off: "Our prices are a bit lower than most business around right now because I want to earn as much experience as I can" - You damage the industry with this attitude because then your local competitors are going to have their clients or prospective clients ask why they are so expensive and then they have to get into a conversation about the value of experience and the quality that comes along with it. To come on to a forum and let industry veterans know that you are planning to undercut them so you can learn, is a not a good way to get the advice you seek.

To those of you that suggested he gets a job at another shop to the learn the business, I hope he gets a job for one of my competitors! Would you want to train him so that he could compete with you once you impart all your wisdom on him?

Like pretty much everyone else has said, take the time to learn the business and and ask specific questions to help gain that expertise. Be an expert before charging anything... Don't just lower the bar. There is not much a of a learning curve in printing signs and window decals in MOST cases, but you should not even think about touching someone's car or doing any specialty work until you know what you are doing. At minimum, you need to understand your substrates, profiles, lamination types, finishing techniques, safety considerations, etc... and what your clients' goals dictate regarding these items. Done any other way, you are following the recipe to sink your business before you even start and it will drag the rest of your business down with it.

On a side note, how did you come to own this machine in the first place?

Legari

I have no problem with someone being new to the business, BUT this part pisses me off: "Our prices are a bit lower than most business around right now because I want to earn as much experience as I can" - You damage the industry with this attitude because then your local competitors are going to have their clients or prospective clients ask why they are so expensive and then they have to get into a conversation about the value of experience and the quality that comes along with it. To come on to a forum and let industry veterans know that you are planning to undercut them so you can learn, is a not a good way to get the advice you seek.

To those of you that suggested he gets a job at another shop to the learn the business, I hope he gets a job for one of my competitors! Would you want to train him so that he could compete with you once you impart all your wisdom on him?

Like pretty much everyone else has said, take the time to learn the business and and ask specific questions to help gain that expertise. Be an expert before charging anything... Don't just lower the bar. There is not much a of a learning curve in printing signs and window decals in MOST cases, but you should not even think about touching someone's car or doing any specialty work until you know what you are doing. At minimum, you need to understand your substrates, profiles, lamination types, finishing techniques, safety considerations, etc... and what your clients' goals dictate regarding these items. Done any other way, you are following the recipe to sink your business before you even start and it will drag the rest of your business down with it.

On a side note, how did you come to own this machine in the first place?

Welp, we've told our customers that we're new and thats why we're charging lower prices, it isnt like we are lying anyone. I get what you say, and I guess that I could be thinking the same if I were you, but everyone situation is different, I will just keep trying my best.

To the rest of you guys, thank you for your help, I will follow your recommendations as close as I can.

ams

Welp, we've told our customers that we're new and thats why we're charging lower prices, it isnt like we are lying anyone. I get what you say, and I guess that I could be thinking the same if I were you, but everyone situation is different, I will just keep trying my best.

To the rest of you guys, thank you for your help, I will follow your recommendations as close as I can.

Most of us are just trying to help you avoid making many mistakes that will be costly. Being able to make really simple signs is going to make you very limited and you'll either have to turn down many jobs or screw them up.
It's best to focus on learning one part of the business such as how to properly lay down vinyl, how to transfer tape, how to clean substrates, etc. I've been in the sign business for 9 years and I still learn new things all the time. I am not the best out there and don't claim to be. But I do know how to do everything that I manufacture and fabricate in house.

Legari

Most of us are just trying to help you avoid making many mistakes that will be costly. Being able to make really simple signs is going to make you very limited and you'll either have to turn down many jobs or screw them up.
It's best to focus on learning one part of the business such as how to properly lay down vinyl, how to transfer tape, how to clean substrates, etc. I've been in the sign business for 9 years and I still learn new things all the time. I am not the best out there and don't claim to be. But I do know how to do everything that I manufacture and fabricate in house.

I agree, our knowledge is really basic and thats why I asked for guidance. We've learnt how to use transfer and how to actually install cut vynil by failing several times first, but after we got it done, we went to the client store and installed it properly. Btw, I didnt know that you have to "learn" how to clean substrates, is there anything important I should know about it?
I just want to keep learning, but there is a plethora of information and is hard to identify the priorities, since something that may seem important in my newbie eyes, may not matter that much in the end, and I could've learnt something better in that time.