• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the Community

Hi guys...i am new here to the community also new to the industry. I love the grand format sign industry and thinking about opening a print shop. Any tips and advices??
- what printers and equpments
- challenges and obstacles

Any advices will be greatly appreciated

Humm...in the 20-40k
A small print shop with no overhead looking to do some small job while building my customer base. I've look at some HP2650, Epson sure color, and Roland soljet. But also thinking maybe some used hybrid where I can print on ridgid substrates.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Ponto

Hi guys...i am new here to the community also new to the industry. I love the grand format sign industry and thinking about opening a print shop. Any tips and advices??
- what printers and equpments
- challenges and obstacles

Any advices will be greatly appreciated

...best of luck.............:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:...where's the printer going to live?

\jp

Well beside rent and other expense..it will be more like a family run at first while we build up the business. Anyway, any suggestion on what printer to start with?

Scott Reynolds

You should start by getting a job with a printing/sign shop for a year or two just to get your feet wet. Then get a complete business plan set up before you start buying anything.

If you just want to lose money while teaching your self the business, I would start with an HP2650 or Mimaki JV33-160. You will need a 64" laminator, about 4-5K in software (design and a good RIP), a good vinyl cutter, some base stock and maybe 2-3k in miscellaneous tools. My best guess would be about $38,761. That would not include the money lost in rent, insurance, tax and wasted materials while you "learn".

I know it sound harsh, but you need to realize what your getting into. Really, its best to know a business well before starting a business. Sorta that "look before you jump" thing.

Scott

Last edited:

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod. Do an indepth business plan. Work with a seasoned business veteran to develop "real" numbers.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

It's usually best to have one of the many members on this forum do the printing for you. Wait to do major investing until you have established a costumer base and know what volume of product you will be producing.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Welcome to the community the hardest thing would be definitely building up the client base and marketing and advertising your company to your local area.

HulkSmash

Grand format is going to cost you in the 100k's.
just an fyi.

Wide format, not so much

welcome from Denver.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seriously, since you're not already involved or have anything to do with this industry, I'm gonna give my opinions on your questions.

The printers and equipment part can't be answered until you have a direction to go. This industry is more focused than what you've evidently been led to believe. Unless you want to waste a lota money, you need to learn the basics.

The basics are software, layout & design, business management, quoting, invoicing, fabrication, tools, shop size, advertising budget, insight, strong points and weak points, what is your target audience, do you have 3 years of capital to sustain you, employees or not, trucks, overhead, insurance, licensing, and so many other things.

The challenges are learning the previous paragraph and the obstacles are getting past them.

Once you have a basis from which to work, you can start deciding what equipment is best suited for your needs.

What most people do is to ignore this advice and just jump blindly in the deep end..... buying stuff they have no idea about. You'll sink in no time. You become a statistic and we all find another piece of equipment purchased by yet another newbie with no idea of what they're doing for next to nothing.

Good luck and welcome from PA............... anyway, what makes you like something you know nothing about ?? Seriously, work hard and apply yourself and you just might do it, but it will take some time. Got a few years ??