• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the forms

parkedcar

Hi all!
First off let me say what an awesome resource this site has been. I came across this site a few months ago and have been lurking around here for hours everyday since. There is so much useful information here that I wish I had found 5 years ago when I started my business.

I got into this business on my own after I sold my half of a DJ business I owned. I wanted to invest in something new so I purchased a roland cx-24, Ultraflex 7 (Flexi) and a bunch of vinyl and started doing graphics. It's something I was always interested in. I learned everything on my own through trial and error and slowly grew the business into a little something with a small client base. I moved into a shop off Main St. in my town. I was sort of tucked away and decided that the cost of the shop didn't justify the few walk-ins I got a week. So I moved the shop back home in a small 500sq/ft area above the garage, saving tons of money.
I've made my share of mistakes, mostly slitting my own throat with my pricing, never really knowing what I was making was worth.
Well those days are behind me, mostly because of everything I've learned here.
For once, I feel confident with were my business (VFX Custom Graphics) is going. I came to realize that i need to add digital printing to my services if I want to go anywhere. I'm testing the waters now, subbing out my print jobs and its working out, and I see a nice new Mutoh Valuejet in my future.
I'm heading out to OK, next month for the Fellers Wrap Class and I'm psyched!! I can't wait to get wrapping!

Some of my work is on www.myspace.com/vfxcustom . Still working on my site so myspace works for now. I dont have the best selection of pics because i lost them all to a hard drive failure. Lesson learned: Always Back Up!!!

So thats my story!
-Mike
VFX Custom Graphics

autodoc

Welcome from a former North Dakotan -- transplanted to warm SoCal. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the printing.

I am just getting started -- Semi-retired looking for something I have been interested in doing, but never had the time working in the big corporation world! Left that all behind for a slower paced life doing what I want to do.

:Welcome:

Service Sign Co

Welcome, I moved from a commercial location to a residential shop also. Still trying to figure out how to get a Valujet up a 45 degree flight of stairs. Probably will have to remove a door frame and a wall

vinylbarry

Welcome from Ky
We started in our house and moved retail 2 years ago and aint looking back was the best thing we ever did our sale increased after that first few months of slow but have not looked back at all sometimes a retail store front takes time to build a name and a location but once its there its great we have doubled our sales from our first year and already off to a great start this year so what im getting at is

1)Sometimes a retail store front just takes time and dont give up quickly just for example McDonalds was big over night the old saying if you make it your first year you have a good chance of making it.

2)sometimes its not for everbody

There are several members on this board that work from home and the same for ones that have a shop.

But the ONE BIG THING is Signs 101 :U Rock:so again welcome to the Number One Place for Sign Poeple

Barry
V & C
Greenville Ky

parkedcar

look at that! you're only about 45 minutes away!

Day Sign Co...I'm wondering the same thing when i get mine. 16 steps up then a 90 degree turn right at the top...it will be tricky to say the least.

Barry, i definitely want to get back into a retail location. But this one was on a back street so it wasnt doing much for me, but i do miss having work bay. Rent around here is VERY $$$ too.

Bulldog1929

Welcome from SE Ohio. Home of the OSU Buckeyes:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Hey Autodoc, Glad to see another senior? citizen on the board. I'm also in the learning process, but I'm having a good time doing it. I should be cruising down the hiway in our MH, but a man can only do so much fishing. Besides, I like cold hard cash in my hands and so does my wife; bless her heart.