• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new to the industry

icm714

hey guys this is my first post and i need some help im a college student that is looking to get a plotter to make decals and stickers for friends and there bands i won a plotter on ebay buyt havent purchased it yet i need feedback and see if anyone has used one. its a USCutter 25" Refine Vinyl Sign Cuttter Plotter w/ Stand i got for 300 bucks total i know its probaly not the best but feed back would be nice plus what is the best vinyl to use for windows and for trailers

chopper

you will see when you look through the posts on "Chinese cutters"
that they have issues I will not get into bashing them but if you read the posts you will get the drift, as far as the vinyl goes there are several kinds and many brands, the 3 basic kinds are;

1, cast which is the most durable and will hold up the best and conform to rivets and ribs etc, better than the other types..(costs the most)dosent shrink or shrinks very little less tenting on rivets etc.

2, calendered which is a medium grade material that will last 3-5 years out doors depending on the brand and conditions that it is exposed to uv, etc..
will not conform to rivets as well tends to shrink and cause tenting over rivets etc, in a short period of time. (cheaper)

3, mylar films like chrome will not conform to rivets and curves and will last 3 -5 years (if lucky) depending on conditions uv etc,

as far as the brands go there is Oracal, 3M, Arlon, Avery, and a few other that I cant think of right now, most of the brands are ok you need to find a local supplier and see what he stocks and try the difent brands to see what you like, how they cut, weed, apply, good luck //chopper

iSign

if you won the auction, do the right thing and fulfill your contractual obligation to pay for what you agreed to buy.

It's a little late to do research, you already "bought" it, so pay the man & come on back & we'll help you make the best of it.

You said it yourself, it's not the best, but many of us paid 6 to 10 times that much. I paid 30 times that much for my Envision plotter...

...but I started with a second hand Roland PNC 1050 that cost me about $300 and I built my empire on the foundation laid with that machine.

gvgraphics

if you won the auction, do the right thing and fulfill your contractual obligation to pay for what you agreed to buy.

It's a little late to do research, you already "bought" it, so pay the man & come on back & we'll help you make the best of it.

You said it yourself, it's not the best, but many of us paid 6 to 10 times that much. I paid 30 times that much for my Envision plotter...

...but I started with a second hand Roland PNC 1050 that cost me about $300 and I built my empire on the foundation laid with that machine.

I fully agree with what Isign has said. You should have researched this BEFORE buying it on ebay. Is it a cheap cutter, YES. Will it work for decals and such, more than likely. Go pay for it and then worry about what you need to do.

Next time remember research before purchase.

imaSIGNr

Follow through with what you have . You haven't invested a lot yet. You can always work your way up . You may need this one for a back up or you can resell it. If you are only doing small stickers etc. It may be all you need anyway....

You won = You bought.

The plotter you purchased is not a "commercial duty" machine. There are many required abilities for a machine to be considered "commercial". The US cutter is an entry level for hobbyists - nothing more. If you are pursuing a hobby, it will work. If you are planning on getting serious - save your money from all of your future sales! The gentleman that sold it you is probably one of the few that does not make a bunch of false claims and will assist you as much as possible via email.

As for vinyl, here are the general recommendations:

- NO vinyl form EBay, strictly name brand.
- Calendared vinyl used for flat surfaces and temporary work.
- Cast vinyl used for multiple (compound) curves and work that is expected to last.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Windows and Trailers...
Make sure you use a "2mil Cast Vinyl " 3M, Gerber, Oracal, Arlon, Universal are a few but make sure you stay away from AVERY... Avery's Cast Vinyl is garbage. Do a search on this forum before you even consider buying it.