• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new to wraps looking for a dat bit of info

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
An easier way has been posted up here a few times.

Using the 12"x12" known object in your image -> draw a rectangle over it.
Mask the image using the box you just drew.
Scale the box up (lock the aspect ratio) to the real size 12"x12" size.
Unmask the image -> it will be the correct (full) size.
I'd work on it at full scale. No need to scale up and down unless your system starts to slow down as the layout gets more complicated.

wayne k
guam usa

altereddezignz

What type of system are you using that allows you to work at full scale. At home i run a dell m6600 win 8.1 pro 64 bit, 8 gig ram, i7 2.7 processor, dual solid state drives, 12 gig ram but when creating a file in photoshop 64 version that is 22 ft long and 5 ft tall in 300dpi just drawing a polygon lasso and filing it with a solid colors takes a little bit?

My concern is when i create everything at a smaller scale then scale it all to large size it will distort the images if they are not all a vector for lets say gradients or shadows and things like that.
It creates a 5.31 gig file size with no components to the file.

I was looking at having a new computer built with 12 gig ram, 250 state solid drive and a 1tb secondary, i3 3.4 processor, win 7 pro 64,

Bly

300dpi at full size is crazy. That's one of your problems right there.
You'll get acceptable results from 72dpi in most cases.
We use Illustrator and most vans fit at full scale on it's art board.
If not go 2:1 scale.

altereddezignz

Guessing this is my first issue. So i was told do make sure and stay at full 300dpi for vinyl wraps?
You complete all of your designs in illustrator?
Im not against working at scale if it is all vector but just worried about scaling up any raster images.

So if i was to work at scale what would my small images need to be sized at to be able to scale up accordingly. As the raster images.

SergioRod_Designs

The Wrap Institute

Well i bit the bullet and purchased a large plotter, printer and laminator. My main interest at first was to do digital stickers and so on but before i even received my equipment i had some request to do wraps. Well here is where i am stuck is in the layout of the graphics to be able to make them the overall correct size to be printed out correctly.

I know this is a rather vague question but looking for any help possible.

Thanks

If you are new, this is s great alternative to taking an actual wrap class. http://wrapinstitute.com/?language=en
There is so much that goes into a wrap, and a lot of it is longevity & workmanship. The better we all get as an industry, the more we can all grow.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
First
I would do 99% of wrap design in Illy (or Draw) not in Photoshop
Second your DPI is too high. 300 is not needed for something that is 22 feet long.
Depending on what you are doing I'd keep it at 100dpi or less (production size).
My Win 7 system is 64bit i7 with just 9gigs of ram and a regular hard drive.
Seems to do fine with large files but I do most of those in CorelDraw (handles larger files a bit better with the larger workspace).

wayne k
guam usa

altereddezignz

We have installed wraps before but they were all printed elsewhere. We now have the equipment to print our own. There are no local or close places to go to learn about the design process. That and no local company willing to teach.

altereddezignz

First
I would do 99% of wrap design in Illy (or Draw) not in Photoshop
Second your DPI is too high. 300 is not needed for something that is 22 feet long.
Depending on what you are doing I'd keep it at 100dpi or less (production size).
My Win 7 system is 64bit i7 with just 9gigs of ram and a regular hard drive.
Seems to do fine with large files but I do most of those in CorelDraw (handles larger files a bit better with the larger workspace).

wayne k
guam usa

Well when you lower the dpi down from 300 makes a huge difference. Ive only used corel a few times iv always had illy handy. But your limited to 227 inches in width and artboard 18.9ft.
I was under the impression that a lot of the designs were done in photoshop and not all images were turned into vector files like background, patterns and such.

Bly

Guessing this is my first issue. So i was told do make sure and stay at full 300dpi for vinyl wraps?
You complete all of your designs in illustrator?
Im not against working at scale if it is all vector but just worried about scaling up any raster images.

So if i was to work at scale what would my small images need to be sized at to be able to scale up accordingly. As the raster images.

Just make sure your images will be 72 dpi or whatever you choose AT FULL SIZE.

altereddezignz

Just make sure your images will be 72 dpi or whatever you choose AT FULL SIZE.

So is there a way to calculate that based on the beginning size? Lets use this image for starters. This is not my image and not one that o am even trying to use but just for reference. it is 1300x1300 and 300dpi.
This image on a full scale 60" tall and 227" wide file you have to scale the image up 1500% and apparently that is the max that illy will allow you to scale for some reason.
Now is there a way for me to know what the output dpi would be of that image that started at 1300x1300 and 300dpi to begin with after being scaled up 1500%

Craig Sjoquist

Don't people go to school anymore before they open a can of worms.

Excuse me purchasing several thousands dollar of equipment & just thinking oh I can do that professionally.

If I go on even I will get depressed.

altereddezignz

Don't people go to school anymore before they open a can of worms.

Excuse me purchasing several thousands dollar of equipment & just thinking oh I can do that professionally.

If I go on even I will get depressed.

Nope sure don't. And thank you I have a very VERY profitable business with standard vinyl signs along with apparel printing and so on. This is just another step to try and offer my customers more of a selection. I'll figure it out with trial and error if no one helps but so far everyone has been great with tips and recommendations. Tell me this tho why is it that everyone should go to school before they do any of this work. I restore very old cars worth thousands but I didn't go to school for it I was self tough and I'll toot my own horn I am very good and very well knows for it. So I don't think you should have to go to school but with that being said I would like to take a couple classes on the design aspect of it since the digital printong is new to me. Take it for what it is worth I appreciate the help and I am by no means demanding anyone help me out in any way there are just some people more willing to do so be they were once is a position that the asked for help.

Rant over sorry if I offended but if I did offend well you might be n the wrong business.

Craig Sjoquist

Altereddezigns.... No I am not offended nor should anyone else I speak my mind & try not to be negative.

By going to school you learn 10 years into months & more professionally, nothing wrong with learning on your own at all & since you are such a awesome person this how you roll congratulations, generally 90% of people this does not happen so well.

Since you are a type A person learning the correct ways in wrap classes or advertising design classes or even printing machine classes are pointless & I wish you well.

Myself any class I can afford to take I grab on, it is so much easier to learn the right way, the easiest, faster & cheaper in the long run.
besides I actually end up know what I'm doing which makes for easy sells.

I understand the printing machine is your next step, yes go for it, & good going that you have done well.

altereddezignz

Lol I'm not sure weather I should take that as a compliment or belittlement haha. Either way thanks. Not all people learn the same. Some could take years of "class's" and never learn a thing until they physical do the work and some no matter how much hands are there is they are book smart. I was lucky I guess as I learn easy but even if I didn't not everyone can afford classes and do what they must do to learn. I never planned on this being any type of argument of the such. If there were closer institutions I could take a class here and there but I can't do another 4 year thing bc I now have a full time job that I must keep. I wish I was in a larger city where they have seminars and such but in nice old Arkansas we do not unless I can afford to take a week of and fly somewhere to stay n a motel the whole time.

this will be a learning process for me I already know and I wouldn't attempt this on any customer until I felt comfortable with the abilities.