• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to wraps

old racer

Looking for an affordable way to begin doing wraps however know very little about the equipment needed to make them. We are currently in the vinyl graphics business as a sideline, using flexi software, (version 6.0 ??) and a master printer/cutter. Anyone willing to help?
Thanks

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Homework comes first...
There is a wealth of information available in the archived threads using the search feature.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
One way to get a preview is to do a few wraps - company vehicle or a good customer you know that is willing to be a test case.
Do the wrap design
Sub out the print part
Do the install
Sell a few - still subbing out the printing part
See if it is still something you want to do
If yes, then do the investment in the equipment needed
If you buy I would go new and not used on the printer.
With a new printer you will get the support needed and won't waste time and material tracking down some issue just find out that the used printer is the cause.

wayne k
guam usa

rambo555

I have to agree with Wayne. Doing your company vehicle and misc items in your shop would be something you start off with. You can start by doing a simple wrap for your fridge. Take it serious when you practice. Try all the tools available if at all possible. Taking a wrap class allows you to use many of the tools in the industry. The class I took was with Mutoh and I was lucky to try many different ways to apply the materials. Once you finish something simple like a fridge, wrap something with a more difficult shape.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

J Hill Designs

You prob will for advertising your business without being a merchant member.

+1

One way to get a preview is to do a few wraps - company vehicle or a good customer you know that is willing to be a test case.
Do the wrap design
Sub out the print part
Do the install
Sell a few - still subbing out the printing part
See if it is still something you want to do
If yes, then do the investment in the equipment needed
If you buy I would go new and not used on the printer.
With a new printer you will get the support needed and won't waste time and material tracking down some issue just find out that the used printer is the cause.

wayne k
guam usa

good post, wayne!

TheSnowman

You prob will for advertising your business without being a merchant member.
For more than one time if I'm not mistaken?

I'd sub out the prints to a Merchant Member here on the board, and don't get any of that cost of a printer until you know you will need it on a regular basis.

Mosh

♦Printer
♦Laminator
♦Media and laminate
♦Computer and design software
♦Installation tools
♦Clean heated/cooled shop
♦Design knowledge, this is most important!

Cheapest set-up is going to be AT LEAST $20K.

Last edited:

marcinito

Design and knowledge comes first. I would look for printer after you do at least 10 vehicles and learn from them. It should tell you what size of printer and media you need or like to work with the most. Even before all of that, wrap your own car with solid color media and watch for mistakes that you did and where material is failing or not holding well. Decide on software that you may know already and practice practice practice.
It takes time to learn new trade especially if you are busy with what you are already doing.
One more thing........ "search" :signs101:

LowenCertified

I'm pretty sure I'll get crucified for this post, but hopefully this may help:
We had an associate who wanted to learn about vehicle wraps who went to the Loen Course in Kansas. He went because of Sergio's track record, (although Sergio has gone on to other things!) But our rep, Dan, came back with a really good education about applying vehicle wraps. Since then, we've closed two deals, and the first of the two is amazing. The second job is next week! But Dan feels really confident from his training.
We've been trying to market our service for hawaii car wraps at Tsunami Wraps.
So if you're interested in learning about wraps, please feel free to give us a call at 866-267-5814. We're happy to share our knowledge.

Chris
Lets Go Banners

Thanks for the note, Chris (Edserv)

Lowen Certified/3M Preferred has had many student installers come through our program in the past year. They are applying their skills and working successfully all over the country, coast-to-coast . Sean, our trainer, has a true passion for this business and, as Chris and Dan have stated, Sean makes sure his students leave Lowen Certified/3M Preferred with a good solid basic foundation and education in graphics installation. We have quickly built many strong relationships with our graduates, which in turn helps build their business and gives Lowen boots on the ground as we award install business.
Best wishes on your marketing effort for hawaii car wraps
Regards,
Dennis