• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New trace video

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Here is another video. The purpose is this video is to show how I created a set of letters in the logo using only the rectangle tool, rounded rectangle and the pen and selection tool to connect everything up. Some shapes were used as a starting point for other similar letters. Illustrator CS3

Giving away tips and secrets? Maybe but hopefully you see this and understand the accuracy that goes into many of my vectors. If the art is good, the results will be just like this. Notice how everything lines up and in this case I took a couple of minor liberties in making sure each letter was consistent and symmetrical even if it was not in the original

23mb movie - make sure your internet speed can handle it. Warning to you dialup people

Fred if you think this would make a good video tutorial, feel free to add it to the site and I only ask for credit

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144854/vector trace 2.mov

Comments and questions welcome

Mainframe

ERIC, when you make the "C" in Inc in the first part of the video, you are quickly changing the radius in the rectangle, I see you doing that a lot, how are you doing that? Do you have a keyboard command for that?

omgsideburns

Up/Down arrows while still holding your rounded rectangle will adjust the corners, left makes it square corner, right makes it the most round it can be..

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Note too that the up down/arrows jumps in too large of an increment when tracing very small graphics. I usually size up my raster art 300-1000% so that when using a tool like this you can fine tune it better. Try it with a small rounded rectangle and then work large and see how the up/down arrows behave differently

CES020

As a newbie with CS5 (only had it about 2 weeks now and haven't used it much yet), I went to Lynda.com last night and watched the shape builder tutorial and came back and started experimenting with it. WOW.....VERY nice. I've used it a couple times in 2 weeks, but mainly for welding objects together. I had no idea it did all the things it does. Like clipping off the ends of lines that go over an object (trimming).

I'm going to have to really spend a couple hours messing with it so I can start using that thing for most everything. It's very powerful.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Eric, did you duplicate the horizontally distorted "Camera Control Systems" lettering as is (by stretching Helvetica)?

I would be tempted to throw in one of the native extended weights of Helvetica Neue. Probably wouldn't actually do it unless the customer allowed the type change. I simply cannot stand distorted type.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Eric, did you duplicate the horizontally distorted "Camera Control Systems" lettering as is (by stretching Helvetica)?

I would be tempted to throw in one of the native extended weights of Helvetica Neue. Probably wouldn't actually do it unless the customer allowed the type change. I simply cannot stand distorted type.

I cannot remember off hand. I don't make design decisions on a logo. If someone created something ugly or broke a design rule that is not up to me to change it. I only change art if I am asked to. Sometimes I will make small adjustments on alignments but not substitute fonts

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I figured that would be the case. And you're probably dealing with a lot of customers from some considerable distances.

In my position, many but not all of my clients are local. When I see an abomination of graphic design taking place I'll carefully ask them about it if the opportunity is there. "Is this the sort of thing you want next to the street in front of your business for the next 10-20 years?"

A lot of small businesses will get something cheap like a business card designed and if a logo happens to come along for the ride (no matter how horrid) it may be the basis for much longer lasting advertising devices, like the permanent sign in front of the business. My civic duty tells me to intervene if I have the chance.

CES020

Vector Basic Training is a book I would recommend. It's a good book and comes with a disc as well. Very very well done. In fact, I need to revisit it myself.

jimbug72

Awesome post Eric. I can't believe I never knew about the arrow keys changing the radius! That will definitely save me some time down the line!
:notworthy: