• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Versaworks DUAL Rip?

splizaat

I just got an email about Roland's new EJ-640 that's paired with the new Versaworks DUAL Rip Software that claims to be able to handle files with transparencies now, rip more efficiently AND handle printing on one machine > cutting on another.

Does anyone have info on this new RIP and will it work with the rest of the Roland Lineup, or at least the newer machines? Sure would be nice to have it be able to handle a file with transparencies properly

rjssigns

I want to know what Roland means by immediate finishing. Can I go from printer to lam with no outgassing? New ink set so who knows right now.

Not a big fan of a corporation being cryptic though. At least have product demo videos. It is 2015 after all. Maybe they figure us sign folks can't interweb too good.:rolleyes:

splizaat

Versaworks currently does that, We run 2 printers and one plotter off the current Versaworks, all simultaneously.

I suppose I was being hopeful in that you could print on the roland printer, go cut on a Summa cutter using versa works. In hindsight, why would ROLAND versa works offer that? I'm going back to bed. :)

FrankW

I just got an email about Roland's new EJ-640 that's paired with the new Versaworks DUAL Rip Software that claims to be able to handle files with transparencies now...

So Roland has now solved an issue commercial RIP-Vendors have solved several years ago. Another argument to buy commercial RIP's instead of using free VersaWorks.

AND handle printing on one machine > cutting on another.

Would be useful only if third party plotters would be supported. I know no-one who uses a stand alone Roland Cutter for Contour Cutting.

splizaat

So Roland has now solved an issue commercial RIP-Vendors have solved several years ago. Another argument to buy commercial RIP's instead of using free VersaWorks.

Would be useful only if third party plotters would be supported. I know no-one who uses a stand alone Roland Cutter for Contour Cutting.

Exactly. And the Dual rip does not support any other printer right now, Roland responded to our Tweet. Bummer.

splizaat

How about that new MAC Rip??? It's a shame for $15-30k they won't let you also have the mac version of the new rip. We'll keep running our rip PC.

jeff412

Another argument to buy commercial RIP's instead of using free VersaWorks.

What rip do you recommend? I have always used Versaworks and have had a lot of issues with it. I didn't even realize there were commercial rips available.

Jeff

Baz

i haven't checked today but when this thread started i went to Rolanddga.com and i thought i saw there was some support for legacy models.
(I saw my VS was supported).

niksagkram

i haven't checked today but when this thread started i went to Rolanddga.com and i thought i saw there was some support for legacy models.
(I saw my VS was supported).

I hope you are right. I sent an email to Roland support to confirm. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice if we could operate all of our printers from one RIP.

Mark

niksagkram

Just got a reply from Roland. Here is what they said......

[FONT=&quot]Hello Mark,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you forcontacting Roland Technical Support. At this time Versawork Dual will only besupporting EJ-640 and the XT-640 officially. We are unaware of anybackwards compatibility with any older printers that will be available atthis time. However, with the being said, keep in eye open on ourupdates and bulletins for more information.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sincerely[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RolandTechnical Support[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Roland DGACorp

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh well.... [FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

FrankW

What rip do you recommend? I have always used Versaworks and have had a lot of issues with it. I didn't even realize there were commercial rips available.

It is not easy to answer. I work for a dealer, and we support 4 different RIP-Softwares to meet most of the customers needs.